Oil pump: the primary fills with oil

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
william cooke
Inactive member
Bikes: 1952el

Oil pump: the primary fills with oil

Post by william cooke »

I have a 52 el. I put a new rev tech oil pump on it. according to the instructions I did not have todrill any ports. The top end gets plenty of oil which is good but the primary fills with oil and makes a huge mess. I have the oiler adjustment turned all the way closed and it is still over oiling the primary. I am considering putting an old pump back on but I like the oil I get to the valves. It still has the internal oil passages no external oil lines. The rev tech has another adjustment but I am not sure if I should stop it down or if it would even effect the chain oiler. does antone have any thoughts on this prob lem?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Oil pump

Post by Cotten »

william cooke wrote: I am considering putting an old pump back on but I like the oil I get to the valves.
William!

Panheads did not suffer from a shortage of oil "to the valves".
The Factory changed the cylinder drains to help keep up with all of it.

....Cotten
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

If your rev-wreck pump is a 73-80 or 81-early 92 style your problem is that your panheads pressure relief port(through the case wall into the gearcase) lines up with the main oil gallery on your pump.This causes oil under pressure to flood into the gearcase and make its way into the primary cover via the vent.Your alternatives are to install your old pump (GOOD PLAN IMO)! or plug your pressure relief hole in the case."bolt on accessories\parts" are generally akin to free sex or self cleaning rifles-neither exist and believing that they do will get you in trouble.
william cooke
Inactive member
Bikes: 1952el

Post by william cooke »

That makes good sense. The only reason I have the rev tech on the bike is because the old one got lost in shipment from the chrome plater several years ago and the rev tech was all that I found that was available at the time. I have since bought another old model pump and now I realize there is no good fix I will install it. That oil is way to expensive to see it puddle on the ground at the end of every ride. One good thing is I can't get lost all I have to do is turn around and follow my oil trail home. Thanks again

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”