How much oil is normal

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

How much oil is normal

Post by mcraeav »

How much oil is normal to come out of the primary cover when I stand my 62 FLH upright? It does not seem to leak much at all, only a few drops if it is left on the jiffy stand but when I stand it up right in the garage, even when I haven't started it, it has alot of oil come out. Maybe about a 3 inch circle on the floor.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: How much oil is normal

Post by steve_wood »

The oil drain is on the back side of the primary. When the bike is on the jiffy stand the primary is tilted to the left which effectively raises the oil drain above the level of the oil. When you stand it up straight, you "lower" the oil drain to a point where it is at about the same level as the oil remaining in the primary. So more comes out!

Of course this is if everything is working properly. If you a leak somewhere in your primary, it could produce different results.
mcraeav
Inactive member

Post by mcraeav »

Do you need to adjust the amount of oil that goes into the primary? Can you slow it down?
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Somebody with a 62 FL needs to weigh in....

On my 56 FL, there is an adjustment on the oil pump. You're supposed to send enough oil so that the primary chain is always "wet".

That being said, as long as your primary case is operating properly, the adjustment won't make any difference in how much oil drips on the floor.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

The '61 shoud have the same adjustment. It is a screw on the oil pump, on the right side of the pump(toward the outside) near the bottom of the pump, angled UP. There is a locknut on the screw.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mark,

that does not sound excessive, as steve pointed out it can collect then drain when stood upright.

all depends how long you last ran it, and how much may have collected. when you are riding it and park it for a short while like at a gas stop it should leave a couple of drops on the ground.

being parked for an extended time will of course leave more.

be careful if you decide to turn down the oiler, check your chain to see if it is getting enough oil.

chains are expensive, oil is cheap!

john
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

The oil that drips on the ground should be dark in color. If it's rust colored, you need more.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

after a ride you should see a dime size spot on the ground, the chain will get the oil it needs....
mcraeav
Inactive member

Post by mcraeav »

Sounds like mine is leaking too much. After I ride and even when I stop for a few minutes there is a 3 to 4 inch spot on the ground. I will try adjusting the oiler on the oil pump.
cosmiccowboy
Bikes: 64 FLH 47 EL

Post by cosmiccowboy »

I have a 64 and I know that my trany seal is leaking so I leave a big spot when I stop. Make sure that isn't where your extra oil is coming from. If your trany leaks into your primary the oil goes down the back of the clutch hub and out the drain hole, not much ends up on your chain. If you close down your primary oiler your chain will be dry and wear out faster so make sure the extra oil isn't from your trany. CC

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”