Oil Filter Mount & Fender Light

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Oil Filter Mount & Fender Light

Post by Hauula Pan »

I have 2 questions, First, Once I got the 2 adapter fittings to connect the oil lines to my filter all the lines fit with minimum adjustment required, then the problem showed up. The mount bracket runs right into the vent line at the oil tank. I remember someone mentioning this same problem, (VT I think) and posting a picture of 2 bends he made in his to clear the line, but I have gone through the postings and can't find it. Any chance someone knows where to find it or can post a pic of theirs?? Second, is anyone running a running light on their front fender? and if so what is the proper way to run the wire from the underside up through the fender and up to the terminal board?? Pictures really help!!!
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Re: Oil Filter Mount & Fender Light

Post by LittleAl »

I have mine forward of the exhaust
IMG_2334.jpg
can't help ya on the wiring...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Al, Thanks for the great pic. I was trying to get mine to follow the route your's is but mine came right in front of the vent line fitting, when I was bending it to clear the oil line I ended up cracking it. Figuring buying another, (after market) piece would just present me with the same problem I dug around in some of my extra parts and found an old shift linkage rod that looked like it might work with some modification. I ended up bending it to clear the oil lines, cutting it to length and threading the end so it would mount up with the frame. It works great and being smaller in diameter than the original, was much easier to bend. I'll post a pic. as soon as I get a chance. NOW anyone got something on the fender light wire???
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Hauula:

I couldn;t find anthing on the fender light wire either.

When I did mine, I remember that (I think) there was a wiring tunnel inside the fender, on the left side. I ran the woire through there, and that brought it back to just behind the fork leg on teh left side. I ended up ty=rap-ing the wire to the front brake cable tube, and going up to the terminal block inside the cowl from there.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Andy, Thanks, my fender doesn't have anything on the under-side but it sounds like a good idea to run it out near the brake cable tube and follow that up. It wouldn't show so much that way. I've attached a picture of the oil filter bracket I made from the old shift linkage. Not much point in buying another "new" one that won't fit anyway, and this works just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

very nice custom piece and worked so well!
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I believe Colony sell a front fender light kit. V-T probably sells it.
VPH-D

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”