Oil light comes on after bike gets hot

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
slick

Oil light comes on after bike gets hot

Post by slick »

I have a 1950 Pan mostly stock except for STD heads and carb. I just finished a top end job and I up graded the oil pump to a later after market model. I have only clocked about 40 miles on it because when the motor warms up, usually about 5 to 8 miles, the oil light begins to flicker and then will illuminate continuously. I looked down the oil tank filler and as best as I can tell, oil is returning. Does anybody have a remedy? I am running 50 wt oil and I have the accessory oil filter. My oil light comes on when I switch on the ignition and extinguishes when the bike first fires up.
valvecap

Re: Oil light comes on after bike gets hot

Post by valvecap »

Look in the archives for this topic. There has been a lot said- mostly not to worry, but at any rate there has been a lot of discussion on this.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Slick -

Did you replace the oil pressure switch with an aftermarket switch? Also, more discussion in the forum about aftermarket switches have a setting too high, making them come on when they shouldn't.

Jack
OldHippie

Post by OldHippie »

My '57 had the same problem, and based in info both from this board and the local shop guys, I installed a pressure gauge (J&P Cycles). That did a lot to ease my troubled mind. I'm idling at about 8psi after the bike is warmed up, and running at about 12-15psi. I've confirmed that I have flow by looking down in the oil tank while the bike is running - one of the locals asked, "Does it look like a mocha?" I live in Seattle.... I'd recommend spending the few bucks for a pressure gauge. The peace of mind is worth every penny.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”