Synthetic oil in HDs

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Synthetic oil in HDs

Post by fourthgear »

Here is a good link and makes some interesting readin about Syn. oil in HD motorcycles . Make your own conclusions.
http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com ... y+davidson
bieb

Re: Synthetic oil in HDs

Post by bieb »

Been using Amsoil products in my 02 TC since new and will be using in my 61 pan as soon as I get the heads back from headhog and after the engine breaks in. Also use it in all my other toys. GREAT PRODUCT!
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Amsoil=Bullshit

You should see them run when you have a warranty issue. Been there. Will never touch their garbage again !!
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

an amsol site saying good things about thier product. who would have guessed
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I knew it would get some interesting responses, but there are some interesting things brought up in there sight, you just have to wade through the hipe.
vitza
Bikes: panhead project

Post by vitza »

so has anyone took any engine apart that ran on amsoil? i love this stuff and have had great experiences with it in auto's/sportbikes... anyways, i understand they tailor their vtwin oil for air cooled engines but im kinda curious about the whole issue about the roller bearings sliding and creating grooves...
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have been running 100%-crude in my bikes my whole life!,& will continue to do so ,As I have found at teardowns, that it WORKS my EYES dont lie to me!--IM sure there are others who swear by different oils in thier bikes!--BUT for a PRE-1970s BIKE & also that bike being a H.D. I will run as always for yrs.--st.60 or 20w50 in cold weather. I have used 1 additive to my oil & I would add 4-5oz. of LUCAS-(good-stuff)- before that it was Slick-50,Also very good! But I did the 1/8 steelplate test with a torch & the Lucas RAN to the hotter spot faster!,--The only other additive I use is MMO,--4oz to every fill-up-(5gallons).Thats it. And I put on the miles!!!About this synthetics all coming out--I have mixed feelings about it --I did the 1/8-steelplate torchtest & it ran away like standard motoroils! So whos to say?--Time will tell I guess--(But you wont catch me putting it in any of my stuff!)!.----RICHIE 8)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I would like to add that since I posted that last thread, I have taken apart a 68 flatside-shovel. The motor was broke-in on SYN. oil!--CASTROL I believe 20W50!. He continued to use SYN. oil in the bike!--8,400 miles later we could not get a good valve ADJ.!. I pulled the camcover olny to find a very well LUBBED & CLEAN ENGINE!. :shock: -TO my eyes!.--The problem had nothing to do with the oil! A lifter (solid) had a bad roller!& Lash could not be obtained!)--LUCKY he caught it before a mess of needles went threw it!--I replaced all the rollers & Its a QUIET TOP-END!-1-kick shovel!. WE did a oil change ofcoarse & the tank was spotless!, Filter clean & the oil had 1800 miles on it that I dropped & you could still makeout that Golden -Color that SYN.-CASTROL has!. IT surprised me in a AIR-COOLED MOTOR!--I KNEW it was GOOD in CARS!--But our machines run at different temps. & have certain needs from our OILs!---Im not going out tommorow & changing to SYN. oil!,---BUT THE inside of that motor with relativly low-miles-(8400)-Looked like the day I buttoned it-up for him!--I usually do the break-in when I do a motor for somebody!-But He sighned-off on it & put in frame himself & thats the OIL he used!. Gentlemen it looked GREAT!--Thats all I can say!---I still would like to see it in there at 20,000 miles!--Im thinking its GONNA BE GOOD!--Just telling from my own EXP.---RICHIE :!:

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”