breather / chain oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Bill Golightly
Bikes: rigid frame '62 Pan
'09 cvo road glide

breather / chain oiler

Post by Bill Golightly »

I have read several posts about converting from a chain primary to an enclosed belt primary. I understand about stopping the oil, but I am not quite sure the breather tube. Someone showed a picture of a tube that had been modified to keep the end from ever getting into the inner primary cover. As far as I understand, the tube is staked in place to prevent rotation. My questions are: How do I get the tube out to work on it, and can this be safely done on an assembled engine. It is a '62.
Thanks for your response.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Bill -

Actually, it is not staked in position. It is part of a through-bolt, that can be positioned to any angle that you need. If you locate the nut on the opposite end, remove it, then you can slide the whole breather/through-bolt out through the primary end. As long as the rest of the case bolts are tight, you should have no problem taking this one out, and not cause any leaking problems.

Jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I thought '62s had the "babybottle nipple" breather into the primary?

And the "snoot tube" breathers were often doweled in place on earlier models, but still easily removed.

Either way, if you remove it, you must find another way to vent the crankcases!
Bill Golightly
Bikes: rigid frame '62 Pan
'09 cvo road glide

thanks for the replies

Post by Bill Golightly »

Jack, I thought it was staked because of the little "dent" on the case. Cotten, I just want to cut the part that penetrates the inner primary off, rotate toward the ground, and add a short hose for her to breath. Then, no residual oil can get near the belt.

I have learned a bunch of good info from this board. Thanks to all the posters.

Bill
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Bill -

Have you had a chance to remove the breather pipe? I think that you will find it easy to point it in any direction. But, rather than cut an original off, get an aftermarket one to trim on. Save the original for when you feel the need to do something different, like a restoration. Then, it's intact.

Jack

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”