oil pump leak

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

oil pump leak

Post by socalrider »

i have a 1965 flh all original engine components. i cant get the oil leaks from the oil pump feed fitting to stop no matter what i do.i dont want to tighten too hard on the fitting for fear of cracking the bottom of the oil pump.any suggestions? i want to keep all the original oil line fittings.thanks for the help.
arnulfo
rigid60
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: oil pump leak

Post by rigid60 »

You can try copper coat on the threads, this has worked for me before.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

There is a plumbers pipe seal product that you can pick up anywhere that sells pipe fittings. It is a paste and has teflon particles in it. I use this on the male threads and do not get it any closer to the end of the fitting than 1/8". I then wrap the threads with teflon tape leaving at least 1 full thread showing on the end of the male fitting. Then just clean up afterwards. If you remove the piece that was installed this way, MAKE SURE that you clean out the female, There will be residue left behind and when you install the fitting again, the residue will be pushed to the inside and could quite possibly plug an oil passage and cause the loss of the engine. Caution is advised and this procedure should be used as a last resort. It will work.
Dale
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

many thanks for the help!
arnulfo

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”