Oil pressure to high?

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Jazzy Pappy
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Pan, 51 45, 05 Deuce pro street

Oil pressure to high?

Post by Jazzy Pappy »

Just finished ring job and valve job on my 65 pan. This is a recent purchase and don't have any history on the engine. I notice when cold, oil pressure at 60lb+ and running temp pressure of 25 to 30lbs. I'm using 20w 50. The problem is when at 60+ lb pressure oil blows out of my front pan. Put new gasket on twice - same problem. When I remove the oil tank fill plug the oil leak stops and pressure drops to 30lbs. Was told new rings add pressure in the oil system and this would stop after seating. Really? Is this normal ? Since it's the same pan each time maybe I should be running a thick gasket to compensate from a poss head irregularity. Could it be an oil pump prob? I did notice the tappet screen was missing. PS Bike starts easy runs great at all speeds.
To slick for comfort.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Oil pressure to high?

Post by Cotten »

JP!

Modern rings, such as Hastings', do not "seat".
They are machined perfect in the first place, and any 'wear' is 'worn out'.

"Oil tank fill plug" inplies that you have a custom machine, so anything is possible.
Please check to see that the motor is properly vented to atmosphere.

....Cotten
Jazzy Pappy
Inactive member

Post by Jazzy Pappy »

Original style rings (cast iron) were used and the oil tank is stock 57 with side oil fill, stock oil cap (plug style with rubber boot). Ring gap is correct and the piston clearance is .025. Fresh bore and new pistons as well. Is 60# pressure nomal at start up?
Thanks JP
hogboy52
Bikes: 52FL, 62 BMW R60

Post by hogboy52 »

Blowing out the gasket is from crankcase pressure, not oil pressure. When you remove the tank plug it vents the crankcase pressure. The breather valve system is supposed to keep it within limits. The oil guage will read the crankcase pressure if it is high enough. Otherwise the pump relief valve will keep it from going so high.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

oil tank is stock 57 with side oil fill, stock oil cap (plug style with rubber boot).
The stock 57 oil tank didn;t have a side fill, and the stock oil tank caps do not have a rubber boot. :roll:
Jazzy Pappy
Inactive member

Post by Jazzy Pappy »

Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out.
JP
clay3505
Bikes: 1973 Fx
1953 FL

Post by clay3505 »

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering what you ended up finding or doing to correct the issue? I'm having a very similar problem.

Thanks,

C
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Similar may not be the same, but if you want help, please give a background on the problem. Specifically, when did it start doing this, type of oil pump, belt drive with the breather outlet to where? Kind of oil tank and oil lines. And of course pictures would enlighten us.

Credit given for finding a similar problem and not just “My bike leaks oil, what’s wrong.”. Very likely that the previous poster had the main breather outlet to the primary chain case blocked off.

Andygears,

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”