oil puking from breather and generator

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
airwrench1

oil puking from breather and generator

Post by airwrench1 »

Been riding the same '55 FL for thirty-some years, and decided last year to install a belt drive. Turned the chain oiler screw all the way closed, and filled the breather tube with RTV (on the advice of a local "expert") to prevent oiling the belt. After about thirty miles with this setup, the oil started pouring out of the generator whenever the bike was started. Intending to start at point "A" to diagnose the problem, I changed back to a chain primary drive, cleaned the RTV out of the breather, and cracked open the chain oiler screw. Oil still pours out of the generator, but now it pukes out of the breather as well. The marks on the timing gears are as per the shop manual, the hoses to the oil bag are correctly installed-what have I overlooked? Here's hoping somebody will go " oh, facrissake didja......?".
panjimmy
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: oil puking from breather and generator

Post by panjimmy »

dude,you cant block the breather off, attach a hose to it and run it along your frame, the belt drive should work.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

It only takes a few minutes to replace the generator/case gasket, and try turning the chain oiler screw down some more.....Mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

one would think that removing the generator and cleaning it, and renewing the oil seal would be a prudent move.

as for it still puking oil out of the breather would be anyone's guess. have you run it much since you have opened the breather back up?

the crankcase could still be full of oil.

my friend who has a shop and specializes in vintage bikes always gets a crop of bikes every spring after the "experts" have had their way with them.

john
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

When you dug the silly-cone plug out of the breather are you sure it all came OUT and none of it went IN???? Pieces of loose and stray silicone have a real bad habit of floating around and they will ALWAYS migrate to the worst possible place and block off a passage that should be open, like the return for the scavenger pump.

Like John said, an engine that has a full sump, for whatever reason (bad check valve in the pump or a blocked breather) will take a little run time for the scavenger pump to return all the oil to the tank. Ride it a few miles, let it warm up and give the return pump a chance to empty the sump. If it still pukes oil out of the path of least resistance, like the generator, its time for a tear down to find out where the chunks of silicone have lodged and blocked your return flow.

jmho

mike
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

And don't forget to check the pressure regulator in the pump. I am dealing with a similar problem on my ' 65. If I get it nailed, I will let you know. I am still trying to understand exactly how the pump works. I do know it has to be a balanced system, or something will show too much or too little oil.
Mike

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”