oil line connection options?

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
xnoahx

oil line connection options?

Post by xnoahx »

So, I pulled up into my driveway, parked the bike on the grass and get off the bike and notice the trail of shame. The oil feed line came loose from its fitting and was leaking big time. So, what alternatives do I have to the stock connection of tubing, rubber gasket and a nut. Preferably something that will screw onto the stock oil tank fittings and not be able to pull out.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: oil line connection options?

Post by awander »

I think stock was a flareed metal tubing, held in place on the proper flare tank fitting, by a nut(that needs to be put on BEFORE you flare both ends of the tubing)/.
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

That is correct for what I have, I got confused and was thinking of the oil filter fittings. Now I am wondering why it came loose. Maybe I need a bigger flare on it, I was able to get the nut back over the flare with a strong tap.
VT

Post by VT »

The AN-automotive flare is 37 degrees. You need to buy a flare tool from Summit Racing http://summitracing.com/
The part number is SUM-900311. Lotsa tool for 30 bucks.
Here's the page:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch ... ults=false
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

The flared part of the tubing can split and fail , some times the nut will losen because of it . I use Teflon tape on the threaded nipples and this helps keep the nuts tight and also helps in sealing( when Teflon tape is applied correctly ) and if using the correct size of tape , you will not see it .
Clean and inspect "flares closely for defects or streching. Replace if in questionable condition.
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Thanks for this info, I never had much experience with the -AN fittings so I didnt even think of them. Off the top of your heads do you know what size the stock fitting are? -4?
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the HD flare is not a standard AN flare size. Some reproduced oil lines have the incorrect flare taper and do not fit the nipple properly and likely will be a source of a leak. I have taken the nipples to many industrial hose supply shops in OKC trying to find someone that can make the flare, but have had no luck. My impression is that it is one of HD's quirks, like a 22 thd per in bolt.
Doug
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I have used a refrigeration flaring block on shortened H-D oil lines with ok results.
VPH-D
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

Swagelok compression fittings are another option. They will NOT leak. You don't need a flare tool. The only thing you do need to do to them is open up their ID.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Duoglide58 is correct.

Common flare kits are the wrong taper.

Repop lines work great for me.

....Cotten
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Ok, next question. Chrome or Cad lines?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

cad is cool.

john
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Cad won't crack or flake like evil chrome, and is soft and thin enough to allow the tubing to mate to the fitting without splitting: probably less hydrogen embrittlement.

Although AMCA judges accept cad on a restoration, the originals had a lead-like coating such as you will find on modern automotive brake lines.

....Cotten
PS: Did I mention that chrome is evil?

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”