oil line routing

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
mikemacy
Bikes: *

oil line routing

Post by mikemacy »

i need some help with the oil line routing on my 65 pan. does it come out of the oil tank and in to the filter or does it go straight to the pump? any good pics that clearly show the way that the oil llines are ran would be extremely helpful too.
thanks all.
mike
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

The stock configuration on the 65 was with the oil filter inside the oil tank. There was a direct line from the tank to the input of the oil pump. The return from the oil pump went to a fitting on the oil tank that routed the oil to the inside of the oil filter.

If you're running an external filter, you probably want to put it in between the oil pump and the tank in the return circuit.

steve
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I'm not going to run mine till this weekend some time , I will post photo's for you where each line goes . Here is an explanation , all these pumps are pretty much the same , the bottom fitting in the oil pump casing is feed from the bottom of the oil tank, the fitting on the oil pump cover is for scavenged oil back to the filter of the oil tank and the fitting in the motor case above the check valve on the pump is for the vent on top of the oil tank ,next to the filter housing on the oil tank, of course. Hope that helps .
mikemacy
Bikes: *

Post by mikemacy »

if you could post pics that would be great. thanks.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I still have not got that far , I'm having a problem with my starter. When I get to it I will post , I will not be putting on the vent system for the inner primary, because mine is a closed system .
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Photos of oil feed from oil tank to oil pump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Photos of scavenger return from pump to tank (oil filter if you have one) You can put a oil cooler in line with this , instead of going to the oil tank the return from the pump would go to the inlet of the oil cooler and the return from the oil cooler would go to the oil filter inlet of the oil tank . ( I will be re-installing mine when I change to oil after first start up . There are several reasons why I did not hook the cooler up first )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fourthgear on Fri May 09, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Photos of tank vent to motor case.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Photo of main oil lines to oil tank , I have left out the venting & oiling of primary ,because I will not be using them and I only know how a Shovel head is hooked up for sure . Others here can let you know how those lines are routed. Hope this helps .

I am getting 10 psi oil pressure turning her over , could be the high torque starter .

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”