Low oil pressure

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Luca
Inactive member

Low oil pressure

Post by Luca »

Description: The oil-pressure of my Pan is too low

I write to you from Milan (Italy) after to have read some posts in this great web side about the problem of Pan-oil-pressure :'( :'(.
I have an happy owner of a 54 Pan FL and I also have the some problem that I cannot solve. The oil-pressure of my Pan is too low: 40 psi at first start up and 02 psi when the motor warms up (idling engine), 6-8 psi at 150° 55 mph (150° is the oil temperature when it works at full capacity, I have an oil cooler). Please, keep in mind that: pump REV Tech (type 1973-1991), solid lifter, rocker arms , gear case , cam and bushing are new. The oil way in the gear case (STD) are: one to the relief valve, one to the top end tappet block oil and one to the pinion shaft oil. Is it normal that, also with a REV Tech pump is the oil-pressure so low? What could I do to increase it?
Thank you very much in advance and have a good day! ;D
Luca
dj

Re: Low oil pressure

Post by dj »

I'm no expert, but it seems from reading the other post here about low oil pressure, that it is common for oil pressure to be this low, no matter what oil pump you are running.
It seems that having a gauge is the thing that causes alarm. If you had a stock sending unit hooked to an indicator light, the oil pressure would still be that low, and you wouldn't worry about it, unless the light stayed on.
My way of thinking, is that if you look in the oil tank at idle, and it looks like oil is returning, the motor is doing its job and there is nothing to worry about. Some bikes don't have either a gauge or a light, and riders depend on the visible circulation as seen by looking in the tank.
Again, I'm no expert. I'm still getting my bike together, and I do have an oil pressure gauge, so with the info here, I know what to expect.
BTW, a '54 panhead in Italy must be a rare sight. I bet you get a lot of looks, from BMW and Moto-guzzi owners.

Have FUN!
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Hi,

I put a gauge on my pan til it vibrated apart. Hot it read 0 at idle and about 30 reved up. Cold pressure was of course much better, and I run 60 wt oil. I went to the light. Oil flow is what matters, it is hard to build pressure in roller bearings. I tried to look in my tank at idle and ended up wearing quite a bit of oil. I must have good flow I guess. Hope this helps.

Scott
Luca
Inactive member

Post by Luca »

hallo all! thankyou very much for your answers at your attention to my problem. i am obstinate: I have to find a mechanical solution! My wife has a shovel too and she doesn't have so many problems! Shit! What have I to do to solve this puzzle?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Luca,

Welcome to this board and website. As others already earlier mentioned I don't think you have a problem. Low oil pressure is normal. Check the previous posts.
mnstang
Bikes: 2003 Harley Hugger 883 (wife's bike), 1953 FL Panhead and 2008 Anniversary Road King

Post by mnstang »

Thanks for the links, seems to be a common problem and maybe not really much of a problem as long as I have flow.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”