Which oil are you using

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
junker

Which oil are you using

Post by junker »

I am curious. what kind of oil everyone is using? And what kind to not use? I am using castrol 20-50.Just like to know.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Which oil are you using

Post by PanPal »

I just picked up a case of Kendall GT 1 Nitro 70 to try. Has anyone tried this oil? I've heard of people getting pretty good results running this.
I've had some issues with my front exhaust valve tapping after 40 minutes of riding. I also have much lower oil pressure after riding for this amount of time. I've replaced the lifter and have the same thing happening. I'm running HD 60 right now.
visitor

Re: STP

Post by visitor »

too thick. Unless your engine is wore out & your trying ta git last bit of life out of it
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

WAY TOO THICK for anything but the most worn out of farm implements.

Lighter is actually better than too thick. Heavy oil actually holds heat.

You may have heard that most wear occurs during start-up. Heavy oil extends 'start up' time many times over.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

PanPal -

Listen to these guys. That heavy stuff is too sluggish to circulate fast, while the engine is warming up. Too many potential problems, and all have been covered in other posts. The thing about the valve covers on Pans is that they amplify all the top-end noises. If you are not experiencing any running problems with the lifters, stay with the weight that you are running now, and switch to the 50W, if you ride in cold weather.

Jack
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Thanks for the warning on the thick oil. What would make the front exhaust lifter give out when it's hot? It's the longest pushrod out of the four. The lifter is good. The oil light isn't on and the lifter won't pump back up once it's starts knocking. I don't really want to stick a solid lifter up there. I'd like to get it right.
52WLCnFL

Post by 52WLCnFL »

Front exhaust cam follower has the most side-thrust of the four and will wear out itself and its housing the most. Small wonder that oil loss occurs here first and only that lifter won't hold.
Why the most side-thrust? Look at the engine from the frontal side (direction of travel) and see in disgust the angle between the pushrod covers and the tappet block. The worst deviation from the vertical is for the front exhaust. This is also the reason that the front exhaust pushrod is the longest. Knuckles were much better designed in this respect. And the twin-cam is quite an improvement too.
The remedy? Fit oversize cam followers ad have the block bored out to fit. Thicker oil is never a cure for worn-out parts. As stated by others, it makes things worse on the long term.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”