Oil flow schematic for 1959 Panhead

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
leakypete

Oil flow schematic for 1959 Panhead

Post by leakypete »

My question is a general one; does anybody know where I can get a flow/pressure schematic for my 59 Pan? Where oil goes when and at what pressures. I've been having some leaking problems lately and I think they are originatin from my pump. It seems to be doing well as a pump but... I did notice that somebody at one time has replaced the relief valve plunger for a ball bearing. Would this make the problems worse??
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Oil flow schematic

Post by Cotten »

The Factory Manual's flow chart is the the best imaginable, as pressures are dependent upon too many variables, such as motor temperature, oil weight, etc.
Please remember that pressure is not flow. (You can have tremendous pressure with limited flow, or voluminous flow at near zero pressure.)

The backpressure valve only relieves excess pressure by dumping it into the cam chest.
Have you backed off the tension?

The ball (earlier design) is only a clue that someone cut corners last time they were in there. It is a warning that the spring might be 'dime-store', possibly much too stiff.
I would suggest to arbitrarily replace all springs in any rebuild.
leakypete

Post by leakypete »

:) Thank you Cotten Bernoulli!!! GRIN. I had suspected as much. I am rather new to the Pan Head motor (1959FLF X 2yrs) so I of neccesity gotta figur thangs out fer meself. I guess I'll have to rob the fund, again, for an original manual. The clymers' manual is good, but it leaves holes for assumed knowledge. Are there any other manuals I might look for?? Thanks again. LeakyPete (for obvious reasons)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I find Clymer manuals to be like most aftermarket Harley parts: One-Size-Fitz-None.

Besides the Factory book, you will find Bruce Palmer's "How to Restore Your H-D" (Motorbooks International) to be a very good investment.

You never told us where your motor leaks?
leakypete

Post by leakypete »

Cotten is right Palmrs' is very good. I've mostly been blowing oil out the pushrod tubes (new cork gaskets) and a fair amount through the breather tube. Pete' been converted to belt primary so I've been following that forum closely. A while back I changed oil and filter (pleated paper type) and both of us took an oil bath, I really expected the EPA to ninja in so I solvented and reused the fiber filter. This helped but... so I started looking for restrictions and/or blockages. Thus the pump finds. Pete had been been in storage for a number of years before we met, so I've been replacing gaskets as I go and hope no rats nest are gumming up the works.You can see Pete in the winter AMCA mag in the ride to work section. Thanks for the ear and any input. Leakypete

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”