Oil pump problems: drive gear and key layin in there

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
madcatter

Oil pump problems: drive gear and key layin in there

Post by madcatter »

i took side case off and found the drive gear just layin in there.i also found the key and snapring(bent up). I replaced everything and put a new key and snapring,and also a new circlip on the other end.figured i replaced the oil and filter also.started up and i let it idle a while.after about a minute i cracked the throttle and the motor was breaking up.i hadda leave to go to work but before i split i checked the oil filter.it was empty.i haven't done anything to the bike since but i am wondering what the hell is going on.any tips
its a shovel top end on a 60 bottom
sleeper

Re: Oil pump problems: drive gear and key layin in there

Post by sleeper »

Oil pump may have air-lock ? preventing oil from
re-priming the pump..
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I assume you checked that the oil pump was spinning freely?
madcatter

Post by madcatter »

didnt check for airlock,maybe it is,how should i go about priming it,fill oil from top check ball area???
ya before i put sidecover on it i kickit a few times and also put it in gear and push backwards to see if the drive gear was gonna stay on
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

madcatter1
You should be able to vent the pump by taking the oil pressure sending unit off , if you have oil in the tank , and kick it over slowly till you get oil from where you took the sending unit out . Kinda makes ya wonder why your drive gear came off . the stock type clip may have been the problem or your oil pump digested something it didn't like. Good luck.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”