Oil tank lines

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

Oil tank lines

Post by gpp3442 »

Gentlemen,
A little help needed here. In the process of tearing down my 57 I removed the external oil filter. It seems this was an option, so it must be o.k. to run without it. is it? My question: how are the lines run to the engine ie... outside oil tank nipple to top of pump or the opposite?inside nipple to top of oil pump etc...
thanks,
George III
sleeper

Re: Oil tank lines

Post by sleeper »

An oil filter is the best thing a motor could have.
I wouldn't want to run w/out one.

my 2.4 cents

The line from the motor to the filter is returning oil & by pump pressure, after filter is still returning to tank.

A Service manual or Palmers has the routing.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

And besides, I love the smell of the burning oil which drips from the bottom nut onto the rear header!
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Panfreak
I know what you mean. Nothing like that smell. I suppose the washer under the nut needs to be changed every time you change the filter. I ended up with a dozen washers and the local HD shop made a deal with me on 6 new old stock filters no one could identify.

Anyone have a part # for a good aftermarket screw on style filter setup with barbs. Grainger, Mcmaster Carr, MSC, Pep boys, Advanced Auto. Or am I stuck going through V-twin or JP's? Kind of a Panhead modified issue :-/
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

George !
If you change your oil often enough, and flush the tank each time, you minimize the need for a filter.

and PanPal!
If those NOS filters are the old "horsehair" kind, you might want to wash them out real well if you intend to use them.
(After finding a literal hairball in a pinion bushing oil feed, I prefer the modern paper ones.)

I cut my bottom seals from PEEK; expensive, but a lifetime fix.
kell

Post by kell »

Panpal

while we're on the subject of oil pumps, mine leaks a lot and I would like to fix that. It is a cast iron 1952 pump. Should I just go ahead and order a gasket set, or is there anything I should know? My only info is from Clymer's (I know, I know).
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the input, but I still am confused on which line goes where? outside nipple/inside nipple etc... top of of pump/bottom? no reference in the service manual.
Thanks,
George III
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Kell,
Yours looks like the style filter I'm looking for, but where can I find one? I look everytime I'm in the books mentioned and when stopping in the auto parts or tractor supply store. Never seem to find one I can work with.

Cotten,
Yup, they are the fiber style. $2.00 each seemed like it was worth it. What do I wash them out with prior to installation? I had a paper style, but it did not seem to sit in the housing very well. It rocked around and would not stay in the proper position. May be I had the wrong paper filter. Do you still install the caps on the ends of the filter. I can't remember exactly what combination I was working with, but it didn't look pretty.
adjustaglide

Post by adjustaglide »

Ya know Cotten, I always wondered about those horsehair filters and if there wasnt something better. Now ya got me "wondering" again. What the tarnation is PEEK!
kell

Post by kell »

GP
on my bike (1952 FL) the oil line from the bottom of the tank goes to the outside bottom nipple on the pump. The other nipple on the pump and the one on the gearcase return oil back to the tank.
Panpal
I just did a google search and here's a site has a mounting similar to the one I bought a couple of years ago and put on my bike, don't know if it's the same one but shop around for a good price, mine only cost about $15... to see what it looks like scroll down to the bottom right item, "single remote" filter mount.
http://www.speco.com.au/acccoolers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can screw an automotive oil filter on to it, but you should get a filter with a low bypass pressure. I just buy any small filter that fits the threads, because small cars are more likely to specify low bypass pressure filters. Guess I'm too lazy to research filter specs on specific models.
It seems like there are only two thread sizes for all oil fiters, so it's easy to go into any auto parts store and find a filter that will screw on to the mounting.
I located mine near the oil pump, but it's much more common to see a remote oil filter mounted farther back, on one of the frame members at the rear wheel.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

On the oil lines, one top is the breather and one is the return and it really doesn't matter which except for the exhaust burning it. The breather goes to above the pump into case, the middle one on oil pump is the return and bottom one on pump is the feed. The top 2 on horseshoe type oil tank, the inside one on mine (close to down tube on frame) is return from cooler and out side one is the breather.(did i make any sence?)
good luck just don't hook up the feed wrong and blow the motor.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

PanPal!
I used to wash fiber filters out with mineral spirits and compressed air. Perhaps it was poor reproductions that caused the problem, but every precaution should be taken.

And AdjustaGlide!
PEEK is PhenylEthylEtherKetone, or something like that. Its an expensive thermoplastic that has miraculous qualities. I try to find every application possible for the leftovers from cutting "plumber's style" manifold seals.
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

WEEZ,
Thank you. I have the feed right I just didn't know where/which of the two lines from the top of the horseshoe tank went. If I read correctly they are interchangeable? If not I will route them in the manner in which you wrote.
Thanks, George IIII
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Cotten,
That's a big fancy word.... around here, PEEK is what I usually do when a well endowed women allows a glance down her top!

Sorry...

Couldn't resist...

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”