Oil supply line source

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Oil supply line source

Post by Panacea »

Description: I was told that I should move my supply hose to the bottom (drain) hole on the tank

I was told by my machine work guy that I should move my supply hose to the bottom (drain) hole on the tank for less oil re-circulation, moreless use all the oil instead of just the top. I would think I'd be better off to leave the contaminants on the bottom rather than re-circulate them. Plus the bottom hose drains more oil when doing a lube job. Just more overkill? MW
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Oil supply line source

Post by caschnd1 »

You have a '51 pan, right? With a horseshoe oil tank? If so, you sure better have the supply line on the outlet that's at the right rear side of the oil tank! If you are taking supply from one of the top fittings you are running a real risk of starving your motor of oil! As soon as the oil level gets just a little low you will be sucking air from the top of the tank. The oil lines going to the top of the tank are supposed to be for the oil return from the pump and the case breather line.

-Craig
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

craig, yes I do have the supply line on the outlet on the back near the bottom. What I am being told is I would be better off with it on what I thought was the drain outlet. MW
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Ok COOL! I had read that wrong and obviously was concerned In fact I was wondering how you were getting any oil! ;)

I'd leave the supply line where you have it I can't see that there would be any benefit to moving it to the drain hole for the tank.

-Craig
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The feed line location worked pretty well on horseshoe tanks for almost 30 years. More overkill...
VPH-D
Toymaster

Post by Toymaster »

I wouldn't change it.. think of the possibility of sediment there.. better to leave it where it is and let any sediment remain at the bottom for drainage..
Really cant think of any advantage to changing it?
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

I think he is thinking that by getting the supply line as far away from the return line as possible, we'd be running cooler oil. If you look at the side view of the tank there is really very little oil below the rear outlet anyway. And like you say anybreak-in metals would be better left to sattle to the bottom of the tank untill oil change time when they could be rinsed out. MW

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”