Side oiler/end oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
livinproof

Side oiler/end oiler

Post by livinproof »

FNG here- Long story short: side oiler vs. end oiler pinion on a 92" 53 pan?? The engine is apart right now, and if I can, (and if needed) id like to convert this thing over to an end-oiler setup. Never could understand how that side-oiler setup provides enough lube to the rods.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Side oiler/end oiler

Post by Jack_Hester »

Believe me. It provides enough. As long as there's no blockage, there is a gracious plenty of oil to the rollers. Keep in mind that pressure is not of major importance to rollers. Only a generous amount of oil flow. If you think about what's going on in the engine, your side-oiler is basically putting oil to the rollers once a revolution. At highway speeds, you are slinging an over abundance of oil in the cases. The only time there would be an issue is when the engine is idling to low, like most people like to hear them. It ain't good for the engine to make it 'potato, potato, potato'. A moderate to fast idle is the minimum they are designed to run, when sitting still.

Jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

An end-oiler should never be used with anything but a Timken sprocket main because the oil pressure forces everything to the left.

Come to think of it, end-oilers are too large of a diameter for the early right case race anyway.

...Cotten
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

By the same token, wouldn't the grooved bushing side oiler act as an end oiler and overoil the crank/ lower end /breather ? These grooved cam cover bushings were sold years ago but haven't seen them lately, till I pulled the cam cover tonite 'n found one in my motor which has always had a chronic overoil to the primary breather issue.

Andygears

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”