Leaking/burning oil

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
63panhead

Leaking/burning oil

Post by 63panhead »

'63 Pan stock engine. My bike has been leaking oil from the cylinder bases and seems to be burning oil even though the top end was just rebuilt. I'm slowly learning the Panhead so I'm not really sure what's what. The oil pump seems to be working properly (pressure switch is met and oil bag heats up with engine). I figured the oil pressure in the crankcase was too high. I read my Clymer manual but it doesn't have anything about the breather other than it is probably clogged. I'm not sure where to look. Advice? Thanks.
63panhead

Re: Leaking/burning oil

Post by 63panhead »

I think I may have found the problem and a fix. I still need some help. I see that crankcase breathes through the chain oiler. I have a belt drive and the oiler/breather vented to the rear of the frame. I pulled the breather off and couldn't blow through it. There was a seal around the breather stud but no other seals. I removed the seal and the engine definately breathes better, and doesn't leak or smoke. I think that the seal was probably put in to block the chain oil. Oil does not appear to be coming out of the breather. It looks like I have a breather assembly from 1964. I just want to make sure this is an acceptable fix and that the chain oil has been blocked off properly (not sure how thats done). Here are a couple of pictures to help explain better...
leak1.jpg
leak2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

You have solved the problem on your own alright. As for the chain oiler, there will be a screw on your oil pump for that, don't worry about going to town on it, just screw it down all the way. Any little bit of oil that may get past the seat will only end up on the ground anyhow. I don't recommend directing the hose you've made for the breather onto the rear chain, it usually makes one hell of a mess of the back tire. I know Billy has a filter he puts over the breather hose to prevent anything getting in under vacuum, but I am just running it open. I do make a habit though of just making sure it is breathing fine while she warms up by putting my hand under the primary where it dumps. Have fun!
63panhead

Post by 63panhead »

Thanks for the response. I will try to track down the screw on the oil pump. I think that its already tightened down though since no oil is coming out. The vent hose is running to a filter like Billy's.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”