Oil puke problem

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
twisted
Former member

Oil puke problem

Post by twisted »

Description: I have got a steady flow of oil comming out of the cranke breather

My 59' pan has had a oil problem since i've had it. I've got a steady flow of oil comming out of the cranke braether, and when i say a steady flow i mean about 1 quart in 2 min. When i got the bike it hadden't run in quite some time, and when it was satarted it puked right away. We upgraded the pump to an s&s, and rebuilt the top end due to low compression. When i ran a clear hose on the return line i was getting air and oil. It does return some to the the tank but it looks like the scavenge side of the oil pump looses its prime. This prob is driving me nuts and i'm gona loose it please help!!
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Re: Oil puke problem

Post by 03Roadking »

Twisted
Go and look for this topic (Help With oil Running out of Chain Oiler) when your done reading that go to search and plug in the problem and see what comes up After you try a few things post your findings so everyone here has something to go on
Good luck and let us know
twisted
Former member

Post by twisted »

It sounds like you went through all the steps we did! I tried all the breather valve ideas a while back, and the bike has a new s&s in it now with a proper fit.I also tried the check ball no luck. All the oil lines are new and the filter was bipassed just in case. I tried the chain oil screw tonight, I was hopefull. I started the bike same thing.... started it again... same thing ...a ugh. I've had the thing appart so many times checking oil passsages, routing oil lines, trying everything, that i think the side cover screws are getting worn! The only way i can get the oil to stop is by letting the bike warm up and reving the hell outa it, then it slows. I've buit many motors ( alright mostly shovels) but i have never run into this. And oh yeah the cases, (when i split them this winter) were fine no cracks and everything looked fine. I think what ever is causing this is probably a very minor problem and the only reason I can't find it is because its on my own bike and it's sunny out!!!!
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Is there any chance that the screw is missing in the end of the camshaft? Some have the screw and some don't.
It is a long shot, but may be worth looking at.
If the breather valve is not timed correctly, (It only needs to be off a tooth or two.) It won't send the oil to the cam chest properly, then it won't suck it out of the cam chest either.
It will all end up in the sump draining out on the ground.
steelman

Post by steelman »

look at your new oil pump. it has a rear chain oiler adjustment screw, pull it out and put a needle valve in there. screw it in till you hit the back, then back it off a cunthair and tighten it down.
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

Twisted
Did you buy the oil pump new? if not I would pull the oil metering screw all the way out make sure it's the correct one ,That it has the correct washer and nut If it is new go back to my post I left the help line phone number for S&S you might give them a call I'm not blaming them but they knew all the little things to look for.Plus if you give them the part number they can confirm it's the right unit for a Panhead.
I'm with you it has to be simple you just have to stay after it
You might check the breather timing again, what about the check ball in the right side of the case have you traced all of the oil passage ways?
Are you running Chain or Belt? if it's a belt I would make sure the screw is all the way in Don't crank it down, you turn it slowly till it stops then tighten the nut Also if your running a belt you can do what a lot of us have done and run a hose from the breather tube on the primary side back to the rear of the frame then put a right angle tube in the end and point it down to the ground This helped me while I was looking for my problem because I could put a drain pan under it while it was running and I didn't have a big ass mess to clean up. I happen to have my Trans out I could post a picture if you want to see what I'm talking about. let me know
Good luck Keep after it
twisted
Former member

Post by twisted »

I havent been online in a bit (pc problems). I have exausted all ideas with the needle valve. I have not called s&s about the problem, that will probably be the next step. Everything I have tried so far has not worked, there has not been a let up in the oil, it just pours out. I'm still optimistic, and anyone with any idea what so ever please let me know.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”