Breather Hose

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
toolscum

Breather Hose

Post by toolscum »

Description: How do you all run the hose so it doesn't make a mess?

'58 Pan, 1 1/2" belt drive primary. How do you all run the hose so it doesn't make a mess? Any clever ideas?
sleeper

Re: Breather Hose

Post by sleeper »

I have run it back out of the primary area & aimed it down at the ground & added a little Breather screen
filter. Out of sight. & away from the Belt.. ;)
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

I run open primary So it will differ slightly, 1st shut off the oiler screw (small screw on oil pump, runs on 45 deg off pump to ground) shut off ever so slightly or it will ruin the seat. Cut the breather tube to run down to ground. Hook up hose to direct the drip, it will still drip even shut off, this is where you can easily ruin the seat trying it to shut off completely, it WON'T. Panheads mark their Spot. I cut at the 90 deg bend and run straight to the ground. With an inner try to get the hose out of the primary. Good Luck
shaker

Post by shaker »

be sure you use large enough hose , the first one of these i made was a cap on the breather i machined from a peice of aluminum, D&T a pipe thread on it for a 1/4 hose ran it through a hole in iner primary to drive chain , condensation pluged the hose after awhile , crankcase could not breath , oil went squirtin all over the place!! went to a 1/2 had no probls with it .. shaker.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I stuck a "green" garden hose on mine back in 1980 and it quickly turned black and it stayed. Now I'm rebuilding and will put some good oil line or something on mine. It was 1/2" and about 6" long.
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Weezo, I've got mine turned up on a 45 with the intention of putting a trap in it before running under the trans and then to the back of the bike. My idea was to keep whatever oil in the crank and venting the blowby,Yea, nay, or what do you think? Ed
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Sounds OK But Is it venting? Thats what its suppose to be about. I ain't sure on that But would want it to have the right amount of breathing going on down there. Wouldn't want something little like that to clog up the bottom and burn up a bushing or bearing. But it sounds like it works to me.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Don't put a "trap" in the breather hose. Yes, on a kitchen or lavatory sink. But trapped, the hose can't breathe freely.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I agree with V T, this isn't house plumbing. The oil in "your Trap" is already out of the crankcase, let it breathe Freely & mark it's spot. It has earned that right!! ;)
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Ok,Ok, I got the picture, No Trap !!! Thanks guys, Ed
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

There is a little screened breather that could be attached to the end of the Breather Hose and has a tin bottom that would let it breathe freely & collect the drips. Clean it out once in a long while. Costs about $13. bucks..It's like a tiny K&N filter. I've used it before & it works well. Think I found it in J&P Cycles catalog.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I put a 3" long piece 'o' hose on mine. The last time I had it off, I found a socket that wouuld slip inside and used it to push a screen up the hose a little ways. Still there, the last time I checked. I think it's important to keep the breather open, if somthing happens to the oil return, it'll let you know in a hurry. Mine leaves a quarter sized spot of oil on the garage floor when parked overnight.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Another reason for the open-hose is that a Big Twin motor not used for awhile, will sometimes "sump" and alot of oil will go to the bottom of the motor. When the motor is started about a quart of oil will empty out of the motor (a natural occurrence) and you don't want any restriction in the hose.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Sumping is a problem easily solved by "burnishing the check ball seats. Not something you have to live with!!
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Yea when it does that "collect the oil on the bottom then Fart It Out" after sitting like VT said, You will wonder what the F*&%D happen when you see, what looks like your complete oil bag laying on the garage floor. That will freak ya out, which brings me to why I posted, I would'nt put no screen on the hose. I want everything going to the ground (talking bout belt drive, not chain) since it isn't being reclaimed No screen nessecary let all the crap roll all over the frame and tire etc... No since cloggin a screen and leaving it in the Bottom End, If it was there to lube a primary OK but i don't use anything to screen the breather.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”