New oil pump

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

New oil pump

Post by 57stroker »

Description: Installing a new oil pump this weekend

Installing a new oil pump this weekend. Custom Chrome had them on sale for $150. I ordered it over a month ago, they finally filled the back orders. I was working as a machinist when I put the motor together last year. My heads are off a '49 EL and I converted them to external oilers. I used thin copper tubing and compression rings to plumb them before, but the fittings leaked on the heads. I'm going to make up new lines with flare nuts. I'm also putting in a new 80 amp sealed battery from the jap bike dealer - even fits in the oil tank! The battery was only $47, I have the battery number if anyone is interested. I also have a new generator and electronic regulator. The old battery and generator would blow headlights like flash bulbs, and idle bad because it wouldn't put out enough juice to keep the bike running. When the bike idled, the generator would go to full charge and carbon up the armature. I would have to scrape the commutator about every 2 weeks. My buddies are freaking out because I am tearing down a new motor in the middle of riding season, but I think the new oil pump is a worth the time and trouble. Had to lift the motor in the frame so the oil pump drive shaft would clear the brake cross-over tube. I'll let you know how it all works out!
dirtpandan58
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: New oil pump

Post by dirtpandan58 »

Why are you replacing te oil pump if it has enough presure to make your outside oil lines leak?
Just wonderin',
Dirt
hd74

Re: New oil pump

Post by hd74 »

Stroker:
Interesting concept. Sounds like you are a bit of a fabricator. Fabrication rules. I am doing a Panhead upgrade and changing from 6volt to 12 volt. Prior to this I was running a VW generator with a bosch regulator. Very strong system but it is hard to get replacement 6 volt batteries. I have opted for the Cycle Electric 12 volt generator with the reduced output "end cap" regulator. Many people are running this setup and say it is good. I have the generator, battery box extender and 5.5 wet battery. The battery concerns me as I want to run decent lights on the scooter-it looks like a half a carton of smokes. I have a Joe Hunt magneto so if it dies in the middle of nowhere-that's okay. I like the robust battery that you have, can you give me some more details (size etc.) Keep up the fabricating!

hd74

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”