'65 Oil Lines

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
nan00k
Bikes: '65 FL Sold and regretted in the same day
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

'65 Oil Lines

Post by nan00k »

the motor has braided lines which I loath , as a stop gap I was going to fit 1/2" id fuel hose to fit over remaining pipe thread stub. Any good reason not to?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: '65 Oil Lines

Post by Bigincher »

1/2" might be too big.
I have 3/8" fuel line for oil lines on my old chopper. Been there forever and ever and a day. The line I used is the clear line that has the diagonal reinforcing thread in it. I've replaced it a couple of times in the last 43 years.
No reason I can think of not to use it. Naturally, I know you'll not kink it or route it so it touches the exhaust pipes. :D
nan00k
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

Post by nan00k »

Thanks BigIncher, sitting down an looking at it the issue would be heat damage to the rubber lines.
I have stupidly bought an aftermarket 4 piece header set and squish pipe that haven't a hope in hell's chance of fitting.

just trying to fit front header and squish pipe have meant welding extra 1" piece on and hammering merry hell out of squish pipe: do these people have the m/c in front of them when they tool up for these things?

Anyhoos, better the devil you know so will be going back to noisey 'look at me' pipes and braided oil lines.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Some repop pipes fit better than others, but none fit well.
I'm putting the exhaust together on my '52, and have been able to find all OEM pieces, except for the Y-pipe.
V-Twin has a new version of the Y, made with "new tooling", and it's not too bad. But somebody said that Corso's Y was better than V-Twin's, so I bought one. Just got it yesterday. Whoever said it was better is out of their mind. What a piece of crap. I'm going to try to "tweak" it (translation: heavily modify) to more closely match OEM. I don't have an OEM example to copy, but I do have some good photos of one. If I end up destroying it, I'll use the V-Twin.
I guess my point is, if you want an exhaust system that goes together well, take the time to find original pieces, and spend the money it takes to buy them. It just burns my ass that the people that have these pipes made don't take it that one or two extra steps to get it right. For example, the front pipes match the curve exactly to OEM, but they lack the pair of bends that kick the outlet end over to the side a little. How hard would it be to do that?
And the rear pipes are all shaped for swingarm models; no one bends them to match pipes for rigid bikes. Why is that? Because they'll work, sorta, they just look wrong.
I've got drag pipes on my old '41 pan chopper, and the clear neoprene (?) oil lines don't conflict with the pipes.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Factory lines on a '65 are 3/8" ID black neoprene gas/oil line. There are clips to hold them away from the exhaust, no matter what sort of crappy pipes are on there.
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

If you go with rubber lines , check out 3/8 automatic transmission line ...High heat tolerance ...get a length at local auto store
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

If you look closely, you might find your vent line is only 5/16", apparently this is an early model trait.
VPH-D
nan00k
Vincent Comet
WL
Triumph Morgo Project

Post by nan00k »

maybe it's good to put it out there which set ups are just a PITA and totally unworkable.

Regarding clips/hold back hardware, yes I have that but some lines run a bit too close for (my) comfort.

Regarding the ID of hoses, can they be too big, apart from the physical size I don't see a problem?.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

nan00k wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am Regarding the ID of hoses, can they be too big, apart from the physical size I don't see a problem?.
As long as the hose clamps clamp tight enough, I don't see a problem. Just make sure the clamps are tight enough the keep the hoses on the fittings and they don't leak. But personally, I think the ID of the hoses should match the OD of the fittings.
Weedy
Bikes: 61 pan

Post by Weedy »

have used the braided hose with good luck for the last 15 years. and one hose ran pretty close to rear pipe. years ago I had the original style after market oil filter with chrome tubes. on a ride one day the filter started leaking. we stopped at a local watering hole and they were kind enuff to find a hose from a sink sprayer that happened to fit. let me cut it up to bypass the filter. worked for the next 1000 miles! still keep it in my tool bag to this day!! lol. you can use almost anything in a pinch! good luck!

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”