Oil Temp

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
glyptor
Bikes: Harley fl 48

Oil Temp

Post by glyptor »

Hello from Sardinia,Italy,sorry for my poor english.
Is the first time I write and I thank all the readers for advice.
Two years ago i bought a 48'fl74,in good standard condition.I have stripped down completely the engine,rebuild it with respect for original factory's measurement.
cc 1207,Linkert M35,spark manual advance,engine oil monograde 60W,solid lifters and other good stuff.
One week ago,my travel for about 50 miles at speed of 50 mph in straight road without steep hills,at air mid temp of about 25°C(77°F),the oil temp gauge in sobstitution of top plug in the tank(full of oil fresh),has reached 100°C( 212°F). Is normal? You have experiences like that? it is not too hot?
Thanks for attention.
glyptor

Re: Oil Temp

Post by glyptor »

anyone interested in the topic? it is not clear the question?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I think that temperature is perfectly normal.
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

I lowered my oil temp by adding oil filter and changing to Amsoil 60w ..it is a full synthetic oil developed just for pan heads . my oil temp is now consistently under 200 f .
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

after 50 miles of operation 212 F is normal.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

220* is good, hot enough to evaporate any water vapor that might be present. No worries until you see temps near 240*, and everything will be crackling at that time, and time for a rest.
glyptor

Post by glyptor »

Ok,very thanks for all advice.
Last question: i noticed that a shovelhead standard engine has best heat dissipation of a engine panhead standards with same cubic inches; you think that depends on the valve cover or other factors?
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

glyptor,
If I understand correctly, the short answer to your question about type of valve (or rocker?) cover being a main influence on heat disapation (or build-up of heat in the first place) is no. There are many different factors that contribute to build up or retention of heat in a motor, but the type of valve or rocker cover design that Harley has used is not a serious factor.

Geo.
glyptor

Post by glyptor »

Yes Old Wrench,you have understand right; i'm not a expert in thermodynamics and my first impression about difference among shovel and pan is that the design of shovel rocker cover allows for greater heat dissipation because it is open to the center of the head; my other impression is that the stainless pan cover heats up much more than the shovel rocker cover(aluminium alloy or cast iron?)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Glyptor-----Your oil temp is just fine!---60wt. oil work best in temps above 200!.---Actually the range is 195 to 220 degrees if stuck in traffic or waiting for a bridge or train passer by /temps can reach 230 with ease.Low temps like 190 & lower in the 180s is not good!.Thats why oil-coolers are really a waste,(for a Pan,knuckle,shovel).Besides the temp guage in your tank may be a few degrees off/,I olny recently stumbled across this by using a Heat gun & taking a reading at the tank & the guage was 4-degrees different.//4-degrees is no big deal!,Just like to mention that.Oils that reach the 195 & above range are doing thier job!.Just keep an eye on the level in tank ,as I dont know how much your chain oiler is ADJ. to.I personally go thru 3/4s of a quart in 4 to 500 miles!/depending on on how hard im running & if Im solo or have a passenger.Enjoy your Panhead,Its sounds like it is running where it should be.Also Pressure guages & such are worthless!/(ots about VOLUME being pushed thru not oil pressure.Also you wont find much difference between the stainless covers & the Alum. covers!/A couple of degrees & Im just guessing that.Mostly important is INTAKE LEAKS/& Timing must be CORRECT!//But it sounds like your bike is well tuned if at 212 degrees.---Good-Luck--Respectfully----Richie
glyptor

Post by glyptor »

Hello Richie,thanks for goods advices; my fear is that here is coming summer,with very hot temps,but yours advices about normal operating temperature have reassured me; is wonderful travel to sea with a dinosaur pan,really out of time... :D

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”