Oil filter cover

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Oil filter cover

Post by fourthgear »

I have been fighting my oil filter cover seals since I first started this motor, every time I ran her I would get oil leaking from the top and bottom , you all know what I'm talking about if you have a stock external filter set up . Well I did some thing last week to fix it and didn't want to say any thing till I got some miles on it . I found in my vast little bins of nuts bolts ,o- rings etc. some Chicago faucet valve disks, they for the valves in a sink , they are not seats and go on the valve stem with a screw. I will get a photo to post tonight. I used it on the bottom where the concave washer goes, the disk actually has a taper to it with a 1/4 inch hole in it for a screw , so it went right on that 1/4 stem thats there. I took the two copper washers from the top and cleaned every thing with acetone to make sure all was free of oil and coated the copper washers with permeates RV sealant ( yes RTV )I put a good coating on them , yes coated them , and let them hang on a nail for a couple of hours and assembled with new filter and I have almost two hundred miles and no leaks. I will be changing the two copper washers with RTV on them to a rubber coated washers I found at ACE hardware the other day as soon as I change my oil filter the next time it come due.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Re: Oil filter cover

Post by panfreak »

I'd be really interested in seeing a picture of that valve disk. I kinda like the smell of burning oil (call me sick) but I hate people seeing the old girl drip.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Thanks! I'll give one of those a try. Don't confuse me with "PLUMBER" (please) but I think I might even have one of those at home. It must be a harder rubber, cause I tried a kind of rubber washer under the nut before, and it just squished out. The shape must help to keep it in place too.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

The valve washer or disk is a little hard ,but pliable. The tapered end of course went toward the concave of the cover (up )and the concave washer went on top of it and it did expand a little and it tightened up real good. I'm not a plumber either but , ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Only more miles will tell the tale.
I have a good supply of them for my self and have not looked for any , but you should be able to get them at a plumbing supply for those who don't have bins of that kinda stuff laying around.
The photos are not very good clarity, I thought a white back ground would work OK.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

This is great , now the top cover gasket is leaking , must be from me screwing around tiring to fix the others, I should have known . Some books show a O- ring type gasket for the top cover gasket and filter gasket ,any one know where to get a set? I see a screw on filter coming in to view!
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

You are not alone. Time to change the oil in mine and I fight this every time. Last year I took the shaft out and what the local shop had was gasket material washers for the shaft at the top near the mounting bracket. They held up well. I bought a bag of white delrin washers from McMaster Carr, 1/4 ID and about 1/8" thick I will be trying this year. I'm wondering if I should have one nut holding the filter in position and a second inside (set so the top of the cover will seal when squeezed) to back up the pressure when tightening the outer nut. I'll post part numbers if it works. They were around $6.00 for 100 pcs.

Perhaps we need some peak seals made for these things!
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Well I tried your plumber trick, didn't work. I don't have a concave washer though, and that may have been the trick. It squeezed out from under my regular washer, and still dripped. I did manage to solve this pesky leak once and for all, and it has been a nuisance for me too for quite some time.

I had a copper washer ( I think it was from my banjo brake fitting?) so I annealed it with some heat which really softened it up, then after it cooled I used a little gaskacinch, let it dry, and put it together..... no more leak! I think getting away from a regular steel washer with seals of various types and going to a soft copper one was the answer. After years of trying different washers, seals etc, I am sold now on just a plain old copper washer with a little gasket sealer.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

panfreak
I have the copper washers on the mounting stud where it goes through the top . they came with a replacement gasket kit from JP's and I also put the goobley goop on them and they seem to be holding up pretty good and the lower nut seal has not leaked at all and it my be that the washer is concave . Since I have straightened out my charging system , I can get back to the filter cover . I know there are better seals out there for it and I WILL CONCUR IT.It will just take some time. This is the first oil filter of this type I have used , my 56 didn't have one , so I get to play with this one , what fun!
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I have an update on oil filter cover . Seems like my faucet washer would not work twice in a row , I tried using new ones ( from my old stock ) and could not get it to seal , it kept splitting( I think also that the rubber faucet washer wasn't letting me tighten the upper filter cover gasket enough to keep it from leaking ) , must have got lucky the first time . I went back to stock gasket (new)and it seems to be working after I put some RTV on it and let it set before putting it on. I did do some thing new for the mounting stud seals , I used two 10 mm banjo bolt washers ( the ones with a o-ring impregnated on the washer )to mount it . Stud bolt , copper washer , banjo washer ,housing , then another banjo washer , coper washer, larger chrome washer ,nut ,lg. chrome washer , oil filter mount bracket and then lock washer and acorn nut. It seems to be working with no leaks , but time will tell.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I have about 500 miles after replacing the gaskets on the filter cover WITH NO LEAKS what so ever . The banjo washers are working real good . I also coated the top and bottom ( NEW ) gaskets with a FILM of RTV sealer and let set before assembling. It sure is nice not having oil all over the place . I did notice one leak when I first installed it after oil change , I had one of the threaded fittings on the housing leak and a dose of Teflon tape took care of it .
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

One leak down, 6 more to go!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Sounds like yer gainin on it !!!!! ;D
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

here is my fix for that pesky leak......

get this at a hardware store

concaved the wrong way

socket and bolt....smack it with a hammer to concave to correct direction

finished part....now time to stop the pesky leak.

mbskeam
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Let us know how it works out down the road........jarhead.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”