1962 oil pump cover gasket

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
jarhead
Bikes: -

1962 oil pump cover gasket

Post by jarhead »

Description: Does the oil pump cover gasket on a 1962 ( not the body gasket) cover the opening above the scavenger gears?

Does the oil pump cover gasket on a 1962 ( not the body gasket) cover the opening above the scavenger gears? My James gasket covers it.

Cotten

Re: 1962 oil pump cover gasket

Post by Cotten »

Jarhead!

The question is confusing....sorry...

...Cotten
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

On the diagram I posted, the cover gasket #4 when placed on the pump body covers the opening that is shaped like a "boomerang" In the photo if you follow the dotted lines from the drive gear #6 it would be that small opening above. Hope this helps Mr. Cotton. If not I'll take it apart and post some pictures.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

jarhead..
This is pretty common in this and many other applications where one side of the two mating surfaces has a "half moon' or "boomerang" passage. The gasket will cover most of the passage but not all of it. If you place the gasket against the surface with the boomerang you should see a round hole in the gasket that opens into the boomerang at one end, this same hole should line up with a round hole in the mating surface (cover) so that oil will flow between them. Check it out, your gasket is probably fine.
mike
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

O.K. Here's a picture of my oil pump, without gasket and with gasket. As you can see gasket covers "boomerang" passage. Find another gasket or make opening in it. As stated it is a James Gasket. Maybe wrong gasket placed in box? All replys are appreciated.

jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Cotton, looking at my original question, it is confusing. I concluded that indeed I have the right gasket for my application. Panzerama I think the gasket you are talking about is for the earlier pump. Appreciate the replys.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”