early panhead oil pressure issues

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
49 pan
Bikes: 49 pan

early panhead oil pressure issues

Post by 49 pan »

My 49-pan has at start-up on gauge 40lbs oil pressure after running and oil is hot no pressure at idle ,oil lite on--- no reading on gauge . 60wt Harley oil 4-qts.
when you start moving oil lite stays on finally ---flickers out about 3rd gear 40 mph running 55 mph lite out gauge reads 18lbs what bothers me is the low pressure at let's say 30 mph Flickering Lite. All orig-- early hydraulic pushrods.. Any thoughts????
thanks
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: early panhead oil pressure issues

Post by Bigincher »

Probably the first thing you learn as a new panhead owner is that the oiling system works on Volume, not Pressure.
I can almost see it from here- your oil pressure switch is either from a shovelhead or is aftermarket. See if you can find an original switch, that should solve the problem.
And toss the pressure gauge; the only thing it's good for is to freak you out when the oil gets hot and won't show a reading.
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Post by Tattoo »

If the lifters are happy and quiet since they are hydraulic then the bike is happy. Low to no oil pressure when hot at idle is common..... Ride safe and enjoy......
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Look here for some more info on oil pressure: Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Sounds like your bike is running great.--If you have oil circulating-(Im sure you do cause you been riding it ).All is good--The IDIOT LITE is good for one thing --Letting you know that the pinion-bushing moved & no oil is getting to the motor! & thats it!.The lite should go on when you go to fire it up/once running it goes off.The next time you see it will be at traffic lights /waiting for a bridge, ect.As long as it goes out when your rpms go up /Its all good!---Its olny no good when it comes on at 50MPH!-(now theres a problem!).& as in the other posts THROW the GUAGE AWAY!-They do not work on PANHEADS!--besides you have to take your eyes off the road ahead of you!--Same as texting & Driving.Enjoy the BIKE---Respectfully---RICHIE
49 pan
Bikes: 49 pan

Post by 49 pan »

I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my oil lite issues, You have me convinced me to just to Ride It.

Dick in Eustis
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The main thing to check is that oil is returning to the oil tank at idle. It's should always flow and as said try to find a OEM early pressure switch. Later and aftermarket switch pressure are set to high. The light will be on more often. Mine only flickers at idle when hot. It goes out as soon as I give it gas.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”