oil leak lower push rod tubes

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
jwindol
Inactive member
Bikes: 1951 FL
1973 FLH

oil leak lower push rod tubes

Post by jwindol »

I have a 4-1/2 stroke pan head with STD cyl. heads. am having problem with oil leak at lower push rod tubes. replaced corks twice, then replaced
with silocon seals and still leaks. I have solid tappets, oil feed holes were tapped and plugged. Im begining to wonder if I have a breather problem. breather timing was does done per s&s instructions.The motor sounds and runs great.and has no other problems than that leak. can anybody help?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

The breather drained Knuckle pushrod tubes; Gravity drains Pans.

Just which oil galleries did you plug?
(and Why? is another question, but nevermind.)

.....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Just which oil galleries did you plug?
(and Why? is another question
.That is a good question. Did you use longer push rods for your stroker ? How are your springs in the cover tubes ? Is there a washer between the spring and cork seal ( or silicone seal ) Are they easy to to put the retainer on ? Sounds like the oil could be backing up in there , a possibility. Are all the lower ones leaking or just one or two ? And if so which ones ? How do the bases of those push rod tubes that are leaking look ? Any damaged ?
jwindol
Inactive member
Bikes: 1951 FL
1973 FLH

Post by jwindol »

Thanks for reply,I think I might have found the problem.I had the middle seal,washer and spring assembly reversed with the seal on top and the spring at the bottom. duh!! assembled the correct way added a little more length and pressure to covers.Ill find out tommorrow on morning run.The holes that were plugged are the small pressure feed holes to the guide blocks.That was recommended by S&S when using solid tappets.I have always had solids in other bikes and never plugged any holes without any problem but from I understand the only reason tappets are pressure feed is to supply oil to hydraulic units
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Those wacky guys at S&S.....bless them.

Even if "the only reason tappets are pressure feed is to supply oil to hydraulic units", why would you want to change the balance of pressures and feeds that the motor was designed for?

(Much less make it a pain'n'th'ass to ever switch back, or even a fuse for a blown right case if the next caretaker of history switches back without knowing they are there.)

Since most of the head oil drains through the cylinders, and only splash should be coming down the tubes, it is quite possible that the diverted oil is flooding your heads. But atleast the tappets are still lubed!

.....Cotten

Post by Guest »

problem solved!! I had the middle seal spring assy.reversed.and repeatedly replaced them incorrectly. I guess sometimes its hard to see the forest with all the trees in the way.Thanks Cotten for your input.It compelled me to look closely at my oil feed and return systems.I wish I still had my stock 54 but what I have now is not stock ,but of I would think of quality aftermarket parts.I would think the companys that produced these parts used and tested them,and It would not be a bad idea to use their recommendations.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

..... another problem solved on Hydra-Glide.net. 8)

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”