shovelhead oil pump on 59 panhead

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
jade5557
Bikes: 59 panhead
60panhead

shovelhead oil pump on 59 panhead

Post by jade5557 »

hey guys
I have a 59 panhead which has a shovelhead oil pump on it, want to know how to oil the primary chain can I use the rear chain oiler and route it to the inner primary since the oil amt is adjustable by a screw don't want to use the primary oiler since my primary isn't sealed type can I plug it off and use the rear chain oiler like I said thanks ron
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: shovelhead oil pump on 59 panhead

Post by 58flh »

Ron---If you have the bike set-up with a chain-primary,--just open the screw & let her bleed!-The P-chain NEEDS that oil to!--If your worried about drips on the driveway -(just put a 12x12 cookie-pan under it.& no you cant plug the vent hole up.It would Work AS YOU ASKED,BUT WHY??--A lot of guys do what you want to do & run BELT-DRIVES!--Then oil is useless on a belt!--If your on a chain (2 of them)-They must be wet & shiny looking!--Never dry to the touch!--A chain can be ruined in a day if not oiled properly.Sprays don't cut it!--A constant supply is a must.Find your setting Eventually you will!--I add about 3/4 of a qt.--every 400-miles!.& when going on long trips I open it a bit more!-Remember a small amount on the screw goes along way!--Respectfully---Richie
jade5557
60panhead

Post by jade5557 »

thanks rich for the answer but im still a little confused I also have a 60 pan stock and it has a screw for oil adj. to the primary but on this shovel pump only the rear chain oiler has an adj. screw the primary oiler comes out the upper part of the pump and theres no screw adj. for it. It was my understanding that a shovel has a sealed primary and circulates the oil back thru the system. heck oil drip dosent bother me but without and adj screw on the pump for the primary how much comes out. I bought this engine with this on it . your not saying that the rear chain oiler screw regulates both are you thanks ron
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Jade--on your 59-Pan the Primary-oil does not get circulated!/The primary chain is lubed from The misting of the crankcase-pressure---The Oil adj. screw is for the rear chain.Check the K-base.--Also Another thing that I did on mine was tee-off-- the chain-tube & drip on both--(more oil).The oil in the primary is to dirty to recirculate!--Its a drip & be gone with it system.--I bet if your rear chain is wet -then your primary is just fine!--As long as its assembled correctly in the primary case.Touch your front chain & if its wet to the touch your good!--If its brown I would pull the cover & make-sure all is as should be inside!--You need not tee as I did!,Just as in the manual.-----Richie
jade5557
60panhead

Post by jade5557 »

hey rich that explains it good I understand now thanks ron

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”