Machining for outside oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Re: Machining for outside oiler

Post by Rammy »

I to am running repo STD`s .
I ran the stk. 51 heads for a few years w/internal oiling and with long idle time in hot weather the oil light would come on. With the internal oil repo STD heads that dosn`t happen any more. I think the better cooling of the new heads.....more fins and maybe the aluminum is better too
harleydoug

Post by harleydoug »

Here is a different slant on oil temperatures
There is always condensation in the oil after you shut it down and let it cool overnight. This water will not go away until it boils at 212 degree F. If your oil isn't reaching the magic 212 degrees, the water will just pool somewhere that it isn't supposed to. Harley-Davidson came out with oil coolers some years ago, but also had covers on them when riding in temperatures less than 50 degrees F. Oils have improved dramatically over the years, and unless your oil approaches 275 degree F. I personally feel that a cooler is unnecessary. At the same time, I feel that outside oilers do help with reducing the oil temperature, but it might not matter with the oils that we use these days. I personally sold off my '49 heads and bought STD ones. I got more cash for the '49 heads than I paid for the STD ones. Besides, now I have dual plugs and can run lower octane gasoline. I have mine set up with a Crane HI-4 ignition in a single fire mode. I run Champion #4071 plugs instead of RN12YC, because the #4071 uses a 5/8 socket and I can get between the pushrod tubes on that side
Yes, I just came to this site in December, and know that I might be a little late, but it is my two cents worth for now.!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

HarleyDoug!

I agree completely about pointless oil coolers (unless you are planning a long, severe run across a desert at the wrong time of year, during daylight hours, pulling a hack and pushing two windshields).

But,..
"I personally sold off my '49 heads and bought STD ones. I got more cash for the '49 heads than I paid for the STD ones."
NO DOUBT!!

You shoulda been able to buy two, maybe three sets, if the originals were in excellent shape.
Originals will continue to appreciate, particularly since this two-year issue is constantly being destroyed by believers in the "hardened seats" myth.
Your catalog order heads depreciated as soon as you opened the box.
This is just a fact of life that has nothing to do with performance.

...Cotten
harleydoug

Post by harleydoug »

Cotten,
NOTHING, I say NOTHING about this '49 was excellent when I got it. It was pretty used up to begin with and then went through a fire. I have a great respect for original machinery, but this definatelly needed a chop job to get on the road again.
Yes, the STD heads run cooler but we forget that the sewer pipe ports and shovelhead valves do some of the extra cooling also. Then again, if the front wheel is REALLY out there, it won't disrupt air flow at all and will run even cooler.
Keep those old dogs barking!!
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

Well stop and think about it for a minute!!! you have (stock) oil lines going through the cylinders allowing oil to reach the rocker arms....very hot oil!!! just how much lubricity does that hot oil have when going through those very hot cylinders?? The way to determine if your dropping the temp with out side oilers is to have recorded the temp of both cylinders while that bike was at normal operating temps. with an infra red hand held temp gun(less than 100$ at most auto tool shops) then when the switch over to top oil lines is done do another reading!!! I,ll bet you,ll be surprised!! Even harley(finally) went to out side oilers in 1963!!!
waiteitei

Post by waiteitei »

got outside lines on my 52
they are taped in from between the cylinders straight into the inlet rocker
this is possibly tidier than the afore mentioned method
whenpancomestoshovel
Bikes: Pan

Post by whenpancomestoshovel »

In my search for a set of Panhead heads to get my bike running I came across a set which had been machined for outside oiler this way.

The heads have also been welded an machined for evo exhaust. Would these changes depriciate their value significantly? Perhaps a good harley restorer can atleast weld up the outside oil port and remachine it. They otherwise look good. No cracks according to seller.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”