oil pump drive gears

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
dchfle54
Bikes: 1954 FLE

oil pump drive gears

Post by dchfle54 »

I have a question on interchangable parts involving a shovelhead oil pump that is currently on my 54' motor. i am having problems with it and i want to put my old stock panhead oil pump in it's place. Can i use the shovelhead drive gear that is already in the gear case, and just bolt up my pan, oil pump? I know that the panhead drive gear is fatter than the shovelhead one, but i was playing around with it and i got both internal gears to turn when using the kicker. My concern is that the fatter gear is possibly sticking out too far, even though no noise as of yet. I am trying to not have to pull the gear case cover if possible.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: oil pump drive gears

Post by kitabel »

You can use the gear, but the shaft is too long. You need any 1936-67 shaft.
dchfle54
Bikes: 1954 FLE

Post by dchfle54 »

kitabel wrote:You can use the gear, but the shaft is too long. You need any 1936-67 shaft.
I was afraid of something like that, i noticed when i was puting on the outer housing it was pushing the drive gear out about an 1/8 '. Thanks for your input, time to pull the gear cover.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

dchfle54----Remember to set the clearences up to spec. or even tighter by.002!--It will help if running HYD.s tappets!--Because of the closer running clearance ,more FLOW will be abel to push threw the oil-passages!.-If running solids it don't matter ,A lot depends on the gasket material you use!-If the old gasket came off in 1-piece USE IT!--New gaskets are thicker & just a few thous. of an inch makes a big difference!---You can make your own!!!-(be careful to cut every hole to proper size)--Somebody on this site uses 1-dollar bills!--There width is perfect & there THIN!--Just my opinion as I have seen more things like -(I put a new pump on & now my front EX.-tappet is ticking at idle)--Your stock-pump will outlast a new Alum.-S&S pump hands down!--Speaks volumes of original FACTORY PUMPS!--THEY were already HI-PERF. off the line!-& meant to LAST!---Respectfuly----RICHIE 8)

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”