Oil Pump Pinion Gear

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Oil Pump Pinion Gear

Post by Hauula Pan »

I recently purchased the 6/24 tooth Oil pump pinion & drive gear set from S&S that is designed to replace the stock 5/25 gears on the 1952 FL splined pinion shaft. My original 5 tooth gear slides on & off easily, but when I tried to put the S&S 6 tooth gear on it won't go, the I.D. is too small & it won't even begin to go on. Has anyone done this conversion successfully? I'm wondering if the S&S gear is machined to be a press fit?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Oil Pump Pinion Gear

Post by Cotten »

Hauula Pan!

It is obvious from the spring in the assembly that the gear should not stick in place.

It sounds just like a JIMS boo-boo!

The "buzz" is that S&S has been acquired by the MOCO itself.

The Times are A-Changin'...

....Cotten
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Thanks Cotton, I was pretty sure it was all supposed to slide easily as my original did, "ie" the whole reason for the spring & spacer etc. Even my pinion gear is a slip on fit. Guess its the typical after market not quite right problem. I've just never encountered problems with anything from S&S before.
KELD
Bikes: 75 FXE

Post by KELD »

Cotten wrote:Hauula Pan!

It is obvious from the spring in the assembly that the gear should not stick in place.

It sounds just like a JIMS boo-boo!

The "buzz" is that S&S has been acquired by the MOCO itself.

The Times are A-Changin'...

....Cotten
Really??
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Keld!

It was a rampant rumor after the big annual dealer convention at Indianapolis or Cinci or somewhere.
Since I have no reason to deal with either company, I have heard no more.

....Cotten
KELD
Bikes: 75 FXE

Post by KELD »

Cotten wrote:Keld!

It was a rampant rumor after the big annual dealer convention at Indianapolis or Cinci or somewhere.
Since I have no reason to deal with either company, I have heard no more.

....Cotten
Gee! I wonder what the reasoning is behind that then. Maybe to do to them what they did to Buell??
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Either way, Folks,

The times for reproduction parts are a'changin'.
Dixie's gone, for better or worse,.. JIMS led the pack for inferior productions (but calling them improvements), only to be followed by Eastern and Colony.
With Crane, Sifton, and so many other respectable names traded off, we may never know what we will find in the next box.

Aside from motor parts, the quality of some chassis and vanity hardware has improved, but only if you go straight to the source.

...Cotten
Woodstock
Bikes: 1965 FL
2006 Sportster

Post by Woodstock »

I have a 65 pan with a shovelhead oil pump that was put on in 86. The bike has been in boxes for a number of years and I'm presently going through the gear case parts. The pinion gear spacer and spring are missing. I was careful to put all the gear case parts together in the same container so I don't think they were lost. Would there have been any reason to omit those parts and if not what should the result of them being left out have been? Also I have no problem finding the spacer and spring for pans up to 1954 but all I find for later models is the spacer but no spring. wtf?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

That is because after '54 there is no spring. Due to the pinion being held in location by the nut and taper the spring was eliminated. The spacer however is needed as it locates the oil drive gear.
Woodstock
2006 Sportster

Post by Woodstock »

Thanks Rubone. I'm using the AMF service manual and it doesn't always tell you when a part has been omitted. Does anyone put out a better manual?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Woodstock!

Somebody might put out good appendix some day, although it would be hard to compare to this forum, but you will always have to start with the omniscient and infallible OEM references for your machine.

For instance, the OEM parts book for '55-'65 shows a 24699-37 spring used from '41 to...... !

Wonder what that was?

....Cotten
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The spring is still listed through the '60s and was then dropped from the books. After '70 it doesn't appear in any shop info and was dropped from parts books and was also commonly left out during rebuilds. Are the old parts still on your crankshaft?
Woodstock
2006 Sportster

Post by Woodstock »

Hello Cotten! I'll do more reading next time.
Rubone When you said crankshaft you confused me (not always hard to do) I was talking about the spacer and spring between the oil pump pinion shaft gear and the pinion gear. I took this motor apart years ago and stored the various sets of parts in containers. Now I'm going through all these parts to see what I've got and I couldn't find the spacer and spring. I don't see how I could have lost anything but apparently I either lost the spacer or it wasn't there to begin with and apparently there never was a spring to lose. Thats why I was asking what the result of the spacer not being in place between those two gears would have been because I either lost the spacer somehow or the motor ran for years without it. I'm not a mechanic (shade-tree at best) and this is my first time going into this motor myself though I've had it for many years and I'm over my head but determined to get it back together and running so I appreciate this site and the help you guys provide. What I'm trying to say here with this long winded post is with me your gonna have to keep it simple or you'll lose me. Now to answer what I "think" your question was... yes.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Don't you just hate it Folks,...

...When the MOCO lists a "wrong" part not only in the '55-'65 book, but then again in the '58-'68 book.

Its almost like they were not gods at all.

....Cotten
Woodstock
2006 Sportster

Post by Woodstock »

Wasn't leaving you out of this conversation either Cotten, if you'd care to enlighten me I'd be most appreciative.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”