49 tappet filter screen or what should be thtere

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
madpan
Bikes: 49 pan 07 fatboy 81 ironhead 86 sporty 42 scout

49 tappet filter screen or what should be thtere

Post by madpan »

Hi all .i am trying to get my 49 pan up and running but it keeps sumping ? in the tappet screen hole in case it has a hole 1/2 inch 13 TPI , looking in the hole i can see a ball bearing in a seat but oil just fills this hole with a kick or two . what and where can i get something so i may ride my pan soon?
Thanks Ross
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: 49 tappet filter screen or what should be thtere

Post by 58flh »

If your running Hyd. lifters get the witches-hat that goes in there!--Old-Dude has them.--If your running Solid lifters,--you dont need anything in there.-They put the screen in to filter out any debris that build-up so they dont mess with the HYD. Lifters!-(block holes & alot of tap tap tap,etc. results!). Its a must have for HYD. units!---Richie 8)
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Not exactly sure what you are referring to since a '49 never had a tappet screen in it in the first place. Unless your right side case is a late '52 or newer replacement. In either case the screen has nothing to do with sumping as that is controlled by the check valve in the oil pump. The check valve has a spring above it holding it seated in the pump body. If you are indeed looking at your pump and not the case and finding the spring missing then you need to start there.
Robbie
tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by tcb-1 »

Agree Robbie. I didn't think the 49' had the screen in it. 52 and up did.

You should introduce yourself in the intro section as well. We won't bite....
madpan

Post by madpan »

Thanx to all who have replied . at this stage it looks like it could be a 63-65 right case ? but flywheel marks etc are 49 ? dealership got me good by the looks Thanx again Ross
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Here's an old pic of the 63-65 outside oil supply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madpan

Post by madpan »

Here is a pic of what i got , i hope
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Ross, I see no picture(s) from you. If you have trouble posting photos you could send them to me via email and I'll post them for you.

You say the dealership got you good by the looks. How much of a 49 did the dealer say you were buying?

You said it looks like it could be a 63–65 right case so I’m going to assume you are unaware of belly numbers because if you were aware of them then you could have narrowed down the case year. Also, the 65 right-hand case is slightly different to 63–64 although all three have provision for the outside oil line as per Mike’s photo. You should find the belly numbers on the underside of each case half near the outer edges and somewhat towards the front. What are they? For example, a 49 case half may have something like 249-1234 and a 63 case half may have something like 163-1234.

Can you post a clear photo of part of the serial number—for example, 49FL1+++. (Cover some sequence characters if you want.)

If you think the dealer misrepresented what you were sold then we can help if we see some photos and later on you could send said dealer a link to this thread so they can see exactly what you have.
Eric
madpan

Post by madpan »

Eric
Thanks i will check for the belly nos asap i think the photos maybe to big for 2-5mb , so i will try to email them to you , i am not so concerned about the motor year with the dealer it was more of a whinge on my behalf, as the condition was worse than that i was led to believe ,like the motor would not turn over cos rocker shafts siezed in heads , one pushrod bent , kicker would slip each time and it had all just been chucked in the frame ,wiring brakes cables clutch to mention a few things, even ended up with a set of useless t-bars on it . so all i need is whatever goes in tappet screen hole and a set of bars.
Ross

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”