Leaky oil pump

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
kell

Leaky oil pump

Post by kell »

Description: What's the best way to seal it?

I've had oil dripping from the oil pump (1952 FL) for a long time now, and I'm finally annoyed enough to do something about it. It's seeping out of the gasket for the outer plate of the pump. What's the best way to seal it?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Leaky oil pump

Post by Cotten »

Make everything flat before you put another gasket in it.

...Cotten
kell

Post by kell »

So what's the best way, fine sandpaper glued to glass?
I get the impression dimensions in the oil pump are critical. I wonder if it would be best to apply some JBWeld to the surface before grinding it, to avoid reducing its dimensions.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Kell

The fine emery paper on glass is the way I do it. I can’t think that you would remove that much metal to affect clearances and unless there is some obvious gouging or pitting I would stay away from the JB. The first couple of rubs on the paper will show the highs and lows and give you a good idea of how much you need to remove to true the parts.

King
kell

Post by kell »

Makes sense, thanks for the relpy.

After I took the outer plate off the oil pump and looked at the gasket, it was not the usual black paper. It was some slick hard white stuff, like a plastic of some sort. I can see how oil would seep past it. So I just replaced it with a regular paper gasket and some gascacinch. So far so good, but of course only time will tell. If it starts leaking again I will use the emery paper.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”