1949 EL - Oil filter standard or optional

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
thsmith

1949 EL - Oil filter standard or optional

Post by thsmith »

My 1949 EL does not appear to have an oil filter and from most of the pictures of a 1949 I do not see an external oil filter. Was this an option or should the 49 have one. I am not looking for input on should I run one or not just want to know if this year came with one or not.

Since the topic is oil filter what are most people running for oil in their older bikes. In reading the transmission post it apears the opions vary but I was going to run the same oil in tranny that I will run in the engine.

Thanks

Tracy
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Tracy

The oil filter was an option. I think they are a good dress-up item and with a modern filter insert, moderately effective. I will be installing one this winter on my 51FL. If you decide to add one be sure you get the rigid frame model filter and bracket. They are differnt from the swing arm frame version (bracket and plumbing) as I found out on my first filter installation attempt.

King
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

Hi Tracy

The oil filter was an option. I think they are a good dress-up item and with a modern filter insert, moderately effective. I will be installing one this winter on my 51FL. If you decide to add one be sure you get the rigid frame model filter and bracket. They are differnt from the swing arm frame version (bracket and plumbing) as I found out on my first filter installation attempt.

King
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

King, thank you, that is what I thought but just wanted to make sure.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Tank-mounted filter

Post by Cotten »

Beware that if you want your '49 to remain "correct", you will need the tankmounted filter, not the one that hangs from a bracket.

It is nearly identical, but the 'cap' is not centerdriilled all of the way through for the top stud. Instead, it screws directly to the oiltank nipple.

They often leaked, and cracked the tank as well.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Filter Element

Post by VintageTwin »

The external oil filter is a must have. I order a dozen resin filter elements (VT 40-0712) at once to have them on-hand. First, you must purchase a paper element, the (VT 40-0712). It has four holes on top of the metal cap end and no holes on the bottom cap end and a wire basket surrounding the paper element. I use the filter for 3,000 miles and the first time i change the oil, I rip the old filter apart, removing the screen basket so you're left with only the top and bottom metal caps. Then take the metal caps and use them on the resin fiber filter (VT 40-0715). Use clean fingers to worm-out the resin dust in the filter. Use an air hose to blow material from the inside core outward. The dust is no big deal. It's resin. I've never found in resin-gack within my oil system, anywhere. Witch's hat, filter cannister. Nowhere. Our book shows you the way on this. If you run your stem into the top of you filter all the way, you should have about 10 threads showing under the double-nuts. Always remove the 63809-48 cup gasket and look for metal flakes. One flake will cause your filter cup to leak, and overtightening the bottom stem nut will occur if your aren't prudent. There is more, but it's too hard to re-write. I'm not "selling" our book, but folks........you need one. No other book covers the external filter scoop and some other stuff that might help you keep your OHV on the road.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, V.T. did you find that the paper filters are now made like crap and they are not sealed on the in side pleats and you can see day light through them as I have just found this out after I bought 2 under the drag spec. brand. but they and the emco brand I picked up are all made in taiwang. hold them up to the light at a 45 deg angle and all will be seen. my old ones had more poting matl. on the end caps the new one have half as much, so they dont seal all the way around . I can post a pic to show this if any one would like to see. really Im not nuts I only call it as I find it and see it. :shock: I will check out your idea as this seams a lot simpler than making a housing to take a better fillter that I found.
mbskeam
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

I don't know why they don't sell the end caps separate from the resin filters so you can build a complete resin filter set-up from the git-go. One of those gap-mysteries. I never used the paper filter, just ripped it apart new, threw the basket mesh and paper material away. tighten the caps on the ends slightly tight. not overtighten. Use the filter cap gasket and the cannister gasket. The cannister works like a sluice gold mine (a chute built streamside with carpet on the bottom. The gold (bronze and metal debris from the motor) falls to the bottom and sticks in the super fine sludge. Man!.....I really like the OE external oil filter.
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Vintage Twin, I see you referring to this book on Amazon quite a bit. I have 49 EL that requires a few things like the right tires, does this book cover that ?

Has anyone else on this forum bought this book and believe it is worth it, 75 bucks?
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Our book shows you how to do stuff to keep it running. It is not restoration. It's a 74c.i. book, that doesn't repeat any info from other service manuals, and attempts to weed-out some of the irrelevant info you have to wade through in the OE books, like valves with stem caps, etc. Not an end-all in itself. You need every single parts book and service manual made on earth for your Pan, including, in my opinion, the '58-68 Parts book and the '59-69 factory service manual. (Kick-Start (616) 245-8991 has those.) Read the table of contents and see if it's for you. It doesn't address '49 or any year specific, only things like oil circulation parts improvements and re-pop applications (i.e witch's hat assembly and tappet conversion to soild). No hydraulic lifter info. Tools for hub liner replacement. Clutch parts for the modern antique. http://www.whitehorsepress.com/ still sells them for 50 bucks. There are no real used books. No one seems to want to sell them. We sell them as "new-scratched," when in reality, their new and shrink wrapped; but we have to because amazon takes 65% of the retail price. Type in "Owners Guide" in the search box. Volume 2 does not repeat any info from Vol. 1 except product updates. Procedures in Vol 2 are all new info. Facts can be, and will be changed and added, right up to proof-time in Hong Kong. It won't be as uniform, maybe in line-spacing and font size in some areas, because we are trying to cram as much up-to-date info in 300 pages as possible. Anything written in Vol. 1 is correct. We eagerly await a challenge from anyone on our published facts. Persnickety about the facts. Thank you for asking.
VintageTwin

Re: 1949 EL - Oil filter standard or optional

Post by VintageTwin »

The '58-64 filter to frame bracket has a compound curve. Made from cutting rigid and swing arm brackets. The '58-64 filter to tank turned plumbing needs to be slightly bent downward so the when dry-fit the pipe can rattle slightly. Straight alignment is crucial, since the rubber seal's squash flat and an angled return-to-tank pipe will in turn leak at the seals. The voltage regulator replaces the relay and fills that gaping hole behind the rear cylinder, imo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”