Geologists discover untapped oil reserve

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Geologists discover untapped oil reserve

Post by Scrap »

Before i start my 57FL, the crankcase is filled with 32 year old oil that drained past the checkball. I don't want to remove the crankcase plug. Do you think it will do any harm as the oil scavanges back to the tank and circulates? Would it be possible to remove it prior to start up? Would hydrofracking be an option?
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Geologists discover untapped oil reserve

Post by awander »

How come you don't want to remove the drain plug?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Up here always after the winters ,The first start-ups on a few I know are a MESS!---Def. tend to the pump when you get a chance. Cotton has some well written instructions on burnishing the seat!---Try kickin threw a few times before you lite-up, It helps a little.Just be prepared for a puke!--Whats-up with the plug :shock:
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

awander wrote:How come you don't want to remove the drain plug?
he may not want to run the risk of stripping it!

scrap, you can remove the plug. however, make sure it starts back into the hole squarely and start it with your fingers before putting a wrench to it!

-or- remove your return line and put it into a bucket for the first min. after you get it started. as rich pointed out there will probably be a big mess coming out of the breather until the pump catches up. once the dirty oil is out reconnect the line.

won't hurt anything that a bag of oil dry can't fix!

john
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Scrap!

The case drain plug on a Big Twin is far more trouble than it is worth.
I avoid it.

Unless you have a sprocket shaft seal for a belt drive, the amount of oil within the case will be an acceptible amount to scavenge, although a messy purge at the breather is to be expected.

I have disavowed the use of ball check burnishers unless disassembled and upon the bench for inspection, as some pump bodies have proven unfriendly, and damage may result.

....Cotten
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Cotten wrote:Scrap!

The case drain plug on a Big Twin is far more trouble than it is worth.
I avoid it.

Unless you have a sprocket shaft seal for a belt drive, the amount of oil within the case will be an acceptible amount to scavenge, although a messy purge at the breather is to be expected.

I have disavowed the use of ball check burnishers unless disassembled and upon the bench for inspection, as some pump bodies have proven unfriendly, and damage may result.

....Cotten
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to use the speedi-dri method and just clean up the mess. My Shovel always blows a 1/2 quart or so out the breather after the winter, It just never sat as long as the Pan. It won't be much worse than my usual oil changes, the drain oil usually goes everywhere except the drain pan. The plug has never been out and doesn't leak now, I don't want to mess with it.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”