Too much oil on the floor

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
crossram
Inactive member
Bikes: 51 panhead, 84 shovelhead, 95 sportster, 96 dyna, 98 springer, 70 BSA lightning

Too much oil on the floor

Post by crossram »

Hello, I'm new here. I have a 1951 panhead that I built from the ground up except the engine that I farmed out. After assembly I rode the bike two seasons then parked it. It's been sitting for nine years. There is a huge oil spot under the bike, probably a quart has leaked out. I would like to ride the bike this season. I have it all cleaned up and ready to start. Thinking of my 70 BSA that I started after sitting many years that smoked light a mosquito sprayer after starting because of a check valve that let the crank case fill with oil, should I drain the crank case of the panhead before I attempt to start it? I haven't checked the level of oil in the oil tank yet. The bike ran great in 2001 when I finished it and it was photographed for American Iron magizine with a five page spread.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Too much oil on the floor

Post by awander »

It sure wouldn;t hurt to drain the case.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Crossram,

First off, welcome to the forum!

If you decide to drain the case, be careful. Putting that little plug back in can strip the hole in the case....

Don't suppose you know where the leak came from ?

steve
crossram
Inactive member
Bikes: 51 panhead, 84 shovelhead, 95 sportster, 96 dyna, 98 springer, 70 BSA lightning

Post by crossram »

I'll get it up on a lift tonight or tomorrow and try to determine where the oil actually came from. I rode it for two summers with it dormant thru the winter with no noticeable leakage when it was stored. Now though, after nine years there is this very large oil spot under where it was kept. I had it at a show where it sat for over eight hours and it left an oil spot the size of a dime. At the end of the show I was asked about why there was an oil spot under neath it. I replied "because it's authentic". Anyway, I was just wondering if it was safe to start after making sure there is sufficient oil in the tank. When it's road ready again, I'll take a picture and post it.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Any bike sitting for that long will leave its mark! ? was the motor fully broken in! If yes then change your oil Clean CARB. & TANKS, Check tranny fluid, New corks forsure!--Before reinstalling carb. check for VAC>LEAK,if good bolt on carb. BATT. & Try to fire-up, if it ran good then it should fire no problem as soon as cyls. get fuel in them!----GOOD LUCK---RICHIE 8)
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I'd kick it a while with the ignition off to pump the oil out, If the case can't breath it's going to build pressure, you don't want that, it'll make more leaks.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I would run it before filling it with oil. Make sure there is oil in the tank before starting it, but the sumped oil in the bottom end will return to the tank and probably blow out on the floor. If you top off the tank first you may have too much oil after you run it a while.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I would not worry about where the oil came out of the engine. If it sumped and filled the lower end it can come out of several spots, most likely the left main shaft, where it will not come out once all is back to normal. As PanPal said, start and run it BEFORE refilling it, just make sure there is about one quart in the tank first. It will try to return it but will make a big mess doing so, so don't bother to clean things up until later. If you try to drain the case be sure and remove the timing plug to allow air in and it will drain much quicker!
Robbie

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”