Synthetic oil or not

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
1hdrider
Bikes: 1960 pan

Synthetic oil or not

Post by 1hdrider »

Hi all...just did a total top end rebuild on my pan from the jugs up...is it ok to run synthetic oil in her...what are the advantages if any and if so what kind should i use ?...thanks for any input
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Re: Synthetic oil or not

Post by JR JOHNSON »

you'll be ok,but break it in with plain motor oil,search on this site ,there's a lot of talking on this.the biggest prob is cost to me,but it works better with the temps the bike runs...........with respect.......JR
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

yea thanks JR...i broke it in with the same oil Ive been using in it for the past 35+ years...i googled the question and there was a lot of good and bad like more engine noise...more leaking & oil pump having probs circulating that kind of oil...ya never know what to believe...but i did see mention of a synthetic that was made specifically for harleys...dont know if its for these newer HD's or what...im gonna look in to it...thanks man
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Post by panbagger »

Amsoil makes a 60 wt synthetic oil just for older bikes. Scott
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Post by mr. z »

I used the Amsoil 60w a few times, its ok, but not great, and certainly not worth the extra cost.

For what it is, $13-$14 a quart just isn't worth it to me. I change my oil and filter every 2500 miles, so for me its a waste of money.
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

yeah your right its not cost effective at 2500 miles, but it made to run at longer intervals than that. Wasn't telling anyone to use it was putting out there, because I know they make it for older bikes.... he was asking if anyone made synthetics for older bikes

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 60 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for early-model air-cooled V-Twin engines where a 60-weight motor oil is specified. SAE 60 motor oils are commonly used in Harley-Davidson® Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead and big-bore motorcycles. AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 60 Motorcycle Oil meets API SG, SL/CF; API GL-1; JASO MA/MA2 and ISO-L-EMA2.

SERVICE LIFE
Recommended for use up to twice the motorcycle’s manufacturer-recommended change interval (miles/hours) or one year, whichever comes first, in engines and transmissions. For Big Twin Harley-Davidson transmissions only, follow the Harley-Davidson recommended drain interval for synthetic oil of up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. When using an engine filter other than an AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filter, change the filter at standard intervals.

just my 2 cents
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have never run synthetics in any bike I have or had!--if you got a fresh motor breakin with st. wt.-oil!,& change it frequently 4-5 times in 2500miles is a good place!--I run st.60wt. with a half quart substituted with Lucas heavy-duty motor cond.before that I used Slick50--But I did a heat test on a piece of 1/8 steel & the lucas proved better!--IN the gas I use MMO-2oz.per 5 gallons everytime!,& when I teardown top-end is no troubles even a carbon-ridge is wiped off with a finger!--I did hear of that Amsoil st50 syn., but I have never used it!--They say it was formulated for our old-iron!& that to me is a plus!--but stuff like CASTROL which is a good oil but thier synthetic line of oils I wouldnt trust! I havent had any problems using 100% crude & Ive been at it a long time!-Dont own a car or truck ,so my bikes I take good care of! I said Amsoil peaked my interest because it was made with old-iron in mind!--The others are for more modern motors,diff. chemicals react differently on metals!--I dont know maybe im wrong!,BUT I can Prove a tried & tested method that I go by,& has served me well!--just my 2-----RICHIE 8)
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

Yup thats the one AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 60...gonna check it out...thanks for your input guys...if you get any more info on this please pass it on to me...again thanks
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi,i did run moble v-twin 20-50 with no probs 0n my 59,even went 4000 miles on the change,5000 next time,i did change the filter at 2500,only draw back that it seeps oil at some areas ........with respect.JR..and yes 20-50 with hydraulics tappets with no problems , and to much money per quart ..........100 deg weather on a trip.........
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

Thanks JR...i went to solids many years ago (1960 pan by the way)...i guess the one good side is if i don't like it i can dump it out & go back to the tried & true...
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

By the way...thanks panbagger for the data
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

your welcome 1hdrider...was just trying to pass some info along. If you want more information on it go to amsoil.com and look under motorcycle oils.
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

many thanks guys.................

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”