Problem with oil line fittings

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
58kicker
Bikes: FL 1200 1958

Problem with oil line fittings

Post by 58kicker »

Hi

I bought a new oil tank(repro) and oil line fittings, but I have a problem - one of the fittings will not clear the rear cylinder.

Is there any way I can bend this fitting without braking it, or what do I do - any advise is highly appreciated?

Regards,

Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Problem with oil line fittings

Post by 1950Panhead »

The oil lines are thin steel tubing and will usually bend quite easily with just your hands.
Put a screwdriver or metal rod in the flared end for a better hold and bend the other end down slowly.
If you go slow the tubes will bend quite a bit without cracking.
Jerry
44RIMFIRE
Inactive member
Bikes: 2010 ULTRA
2005 HERITAGE

Post by 44RIMFIRE »

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A SET FROM V-TWIN. THE SAME ONE YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH DID NOT FIT FOR ME EITHER. MINE WERE CAD PLATED AND WERE PROBABLY EASIER TO BEND THAN YOUR CHROME ONE WOULD BE, HOWEVER, I COULD NOT MAKE IT FIT AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF. I FINALLY SENT IT BACK AND GOT ANOTHER ONE. IT FIT.
ON THE TIGHT BENDS, I REALLY I THINK YOU HAVE ONE SHOT AT GETTING IT RIGHT.
58kicker

Post by 58kicker »

Thanks for your advices!

I think I'll try to bend it horizontally away from the bike, to avoid bending it futher at the original bend - but as you mention (44RIMFIRE), it's risky, and I'll probably only get one chance :?
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Heating the lines with a propane torch makes it easier to bend them, but doesn't help the chrome much. Another way is to shorten the horizontal part of the oil line and reflare the line.
VPH-D
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

I had the exact same problem once with a set of cad plated lines I purchased in person from a well known re-popper. When I called and talked to him on the phone about the poor fit, he said "Its probably your oil tank thats messed up, you might have to bend the line a little bit. I've never had a complaint before about any of my stuff". An odd comment, since the old chrome lines I had fitted perfect!!!!! But, to give him the benefit of the doubt, I suppose the old lines could have been tweaked.

Rather than drive back to his shop to get one that was properly bent, I clamped the line in a vise between two pieces of softwood so just the short, straight part between the bend and the flare was sticking out, then I stuck a piece of scrap 5/8" round stock that I had turned the end down on the lathe so it fit snugly inside the line, then I applied a slow steady pull until I got the line where it needed to be. I bent it on the horizontal plane to move it away from the cylinder. The trick is to clamp the line securely and make sure the "tool" (I'm sure a properly sized pin punch would work equally well) you insert in the line fits snugly. Keep in mind that when the lines are initially bent they get work hardened in the bend area and become resistant to further bending without kinking, so go with a slow, steady, controlled force and you'll be fine.

Since then I've picked up a real good Rigid 506 bender, so now I bend lines myself.

Regards,
Geo.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Those lines are about an inch longer than my lines.Mine dont even stick out past the seat post nevermind hit the head.You can even see the difference between your first pic and the ones on your bike.
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

The repop oil tank is as much at fault as the lines.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

UPSROD wrote:The repop oil tank is as much at fault as the lines.

Yeah,it seems to me the fittings on the tank are closer inward towards the seat post too.But even if that tank was on my bike,the lines wouldnt hit.
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

I would try a different set of lines, those bends don't look right.

I had a similar problem with a set of cad lines from Dennis Corso. The one line was just barely touching the rear head. I filled the line with sand and then used some round stock to rebend the line. It took a little bit of time, but did help. You can also tweak them on the bike as well, for final adjustment.

You could also try the later set of oil lines that are reversed.
tomcat
Bikes: 1947EL
1948FL Project
1947WL Project

Post by tomcat »

old.wrench wrote: I've never had a complaint before about any of my stuff".
Dennis Corso say's that about everything that someone complains about. I guess he has a poor memory.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

they're not even close to correctly bent, they'll never look right, send them back. call Old Dude. Chrome? I always think, do I want bits of chrome floating through my mill? 2 bits
PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Post by PanJud »

I had similar troubles (S&S oil pump, factory lines were never going to fit regardless) I wondered "how hard could this be?" Bought a tubing Bender,bunch of compression nuts, (had to get those from VTwin, I think), a double-flare kit, and about 5 6' sticks of brake line tubing (3/8", I think) After more than a few pretzels, I you got the hang it after a while, am happy with it
58kicker

Post by 58kicker »

Hi again

Just wanted to let you all know how this ended :)

I bought a pipe bender, some brakeline tubing and a double-flare kit, and managed to produce three new tubes - not the best looking ever, maybe I will go for the rigid lines at next oil change, but for now it works just fine.

Thanks for your advice :D

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”