Wrist Pin Spiral-Type Lock ring

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Wrist Pin Spiral-Type Lock ring

Post by steve_wood »

Okay, for the life of me I can't install these things.

Is there some special trick?

Do you have to use a special tool?

Could I just use modern-type lock rings instead?
JOHNSON
Inactive member
Bikes: 50FL-59FLH

Re: Wrist Pin Spiral-Type Lock ring

Post by JOHNSON »

spread it out like a corkscrew,but not to much,walk it in with a little screwdriver,or oring pick.never had one come out....with respect.............johnson
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I used the lock rings instead and I never had one come out.You do need a special tool for the spral rings if you dont want to screw them up.Its basicly a tube inside a tube.

http://www.handsontools.com/JIMS-96780- ... 19895.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Johnson,

Good tip.

Hog54,

I found some lock rings that fit perfectly. Think I'll go with those.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I actually prefer the spiral locks and find them quite simple to install. I have the factory tool but don't use it, I prefer to do it by hand. And if using lock rings be sure to install them with the open end down, not vertical. In a vertical orientation it is possible for the rings to pop out.
Robbie
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

All I know is my 80 lowrider came with lock rings and I have been riding that for almost 32 years and the pan has had them for 16 years and never had either motor apart. :D
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I have a pick with a curled end on it which helps. It is definately an acquired technique but I'm stubborn and persisted rather than throwing in the towel. My buddy snapped the first one in to show me how and it took all of 30 seconds (maybe less? It was quick thats all I know) for him but he's done hundreds if not more. He said there you go, I'm going for lunch you can do the rest and laughed. My first took maybe half an hour and my fingers were hurting, I would've quit but like I said, I'm stubborn as hell. Second one was easier; 10 minutes, but I understood how to twist them in now. Last one about a minute or two. The most satisfaction was when he came back from lunch I was putting the rings on and he smiled and said "I didn't think you'd do it".
Now I'm definately no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but if I had to describe a technique I would say that once you get the beginning end in, remember that twisting the remaining part reduces it's diameter; understanding this principle is key.

If I gave up easy, I'd have probably only ever slept with fat ugly girls.

Merry Christmas!
JOHNSON
Inactive member
Bikes: 50FL-59FLH

Post by JOHNSON »

hi,i was told years ago that if it had spiral lock rings,you had to replaced it with it,is the groove cut dfferant for the snap ring,than the spiral?otherwise ,what came with the piston should go in it.i've put both styles in,but it allways came with the piston.but some buddyelse should anwser the groove question,other than me...............with respect.JOHNSON
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Steve!

Here's my 'factory tool".
SPRLKTUL.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Patience and practice. If yer lookin for the easy way out, go with buttons, but this usually isn't practical....bosheff
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Why are buttons not practical?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Andy!

To begin with, buttons will drop your balance factor significantly.

Next, (teflon) buttons tend to embed particulates, and use them to polish streaks up and down the sides of the bore.
They are primarily intended for competition machines that will be taken apart often.

....Cotten
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Post by JR JOHNSON »

JOHNSON wrote:hi,i was told years ago that if it had spiral lock rings,you had to replaced it with it,is the groove cut different for the snap ring,than the spiral?otherwise ,what came with the piston should go in it.i've put both styles in,but it always came with the piston.but some buddy else should answer the groove question,other than me...............with respect.JOHNSON
QUOTE from 6th edition,what fits what by mike arman,kurt heinrichs. 73 saw the spiral lock wrist pin retainers for big twins,77 brought us the snap ring wrist pin lock pistons in fl,xl.......they say"you can use a spiral in any piston that originally used a 'C' clip,but don't use a snap ring in an older piston since the groove is a touch too narrow.end of quote..........just some info i'd dugged up..................with respect .......JR

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”