Pushrod question on 63 pan.

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Garyson1311
Bikes: 1963 Pan FLH

Pushrod question on 63 pan.

Post by Garyson1311 »

So I find myself coming back to the all knowing panhead buffs for another answer..

I am at the point of installing and adjusting my pushrods (wet, with adjustable lock nut on the 63 pan) and I have already read how to install them and adjust them for the most part (thanks to you guys!) but my question is this (Sorry if this is an obvious one but i'd rather be safe than sorry): ..

How do I know when the pushrod is at its lowest postion so I can get a proper adjustment? What do I have to do? Someone please clarify this procedure for me. Thanks a million.

-Gary
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: Pushrod question on 63 pan.

Post by jdpan »

Garyson1311 wrote:So I find myself coming back to the all knowing panhead buffs for another answer..

I am at the point of installing and adjusting my pushrods (wet, with adjustable lock nut on the 63 pan) and I have already read how to install them and adjust them for the most part (thanks to you guys!) but my question is this (Sorry if this is an obvious one but i'd rather be safe than sorry): ..

How do I know when the pushrod is at its lowest postion so I can get a proper adjustment? What do I have to do? Someone please clarify this procedure for me. Thanks a million.

-Gary
Pull the spark plugs, lift the rear wheel off the ground, put it in 3rd gear, pop the pusrod covers, rotate rear wheel untill the lifter is at its lowest position, install and adjust pushrod, spin rear wheel, repeat process. Adjustment depends on the type of pushrods you're using. That's how I do it anyways.
Last edited by jdpan on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Rotate mtr till one of the lifters is at the top of its travel( you can rotate a couple of times , so you can see how far it goes & tops out ) & adj. the oposite lifter of that same cyl..

If hyd. you need to let some time go by , till you can spin the push rod you adj. to rotate the motor to do the same to the oposite lifter/push rod.

If solids ,just do the next one , I always do the intake first, because its on the inside & then the exh. of the same cyl. then go to the other cyl. & adj. them .
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

So pretty much I spin the tire and watch the pushrod go up and down and see when it reaches bottom? Sorry if this sounds dumb but I really just want to understand.

Thanks!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

I just watch or feel for the rod to drop to its bottom as well.

But that rear wheel routine is a real pain in the patootie!

Don't look now, but that kickarm to your left does the same thing.
And by bopping it with your other palm, it is quite sensitive.

....Cotten
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

I was wondering if I could use the kickarm to rotate it as I think that would be easier since the bike is still on the lift. So, I should try pushing the kickarm down and watching the pushrods?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Garyson1311 wrote: So, I should try pushing the kickarm down and watching the pushrods?
yep, the kicker will work just fine (plugs out of course for easy kicking). And, like fourthgear said, when one of the valves is all the way open (pushrod all the way up), the other valve in that cylinder will be all the way closed (pushrod all the way down), adjust it there. The factory service manual has a little bit different method, and it works too, you can find it here on the site in the documentation section under service manuals.

the book tells you to adjust when the same valve (intake or exhaust) on the opposite cylinder is all the way open.

mike
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

Great info guys! Thanks a ton for the help. I am hoping to get the bike together this weekend!
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I hope that you know about......allowing the hydraulic lifters to Bleed Down between the adjustments ?
If you are using them ?

After one is adjusted....allow it to set till YOU CAN ROTATE the push rod....FREELY !
Then proceed to the next one !

IF this IS not ALLOWED......You will bend the push rods as the motor is rotated thru.... as "the springs will coil bind!

Good Luck !
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Mike!

If you follow the Service Manual procedure for washing and blowing out the hydraulic units before installation, "bleeding down" should not be an issue.

....Cotten

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”