Piston question.

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Garyson1311
Bikes: 1963 Pan FLH

Piston question.

Post by Garyson1311 »

Ok so I got the bottom end checked out by a shop and believe it or not, it is good to go.

My next question is this: (Well, I have 2 actually)

1. I installed the new pistons on the rods and realized that the "web" was pointing to the left side on both of them.. I know the manual says to be facing towards the right but I also read that it doesnt matter as long as they are not switched around after they have been ran?? Some clarification to this would be nice as i'd really rather not take out those clips and pins unless I had to.

2. After installing the rear piston, I realized that it does not rotate freely like the front one does. (When I say rotate, I mean the actual piston itself rotating forwards and backwards on the rod when the rod is not moving. I am able to rotate it but gravity is not enough. The old ones I took off seemed to have some play in them as far as rotation goes and the new front piston has this same play.. Is the lack of this rotation a problem or is it something I should not worry about? (I am able to line it up to install the cylinder so that is not a problem by any means, I just gotta tug a bit). I did check the pin and everything and it all seems straight, just tight.

In case this means anything. I had the cylinders freshly bored and am running .050 over wiseco's.

Thanks for all your help!

Gary
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Piston question.

Post by 1950Panhead »

Original Harley pistons have a tab that goes on the right, some pistons have an arrow that points forward, follow the instructions you received with your Wiseco pistons.
The clearance between the piston pin and the piston and rod bushing should be .0005" to .001", the piston should pivot easily on the pin, if they are tight something is wrong.
Jerry
Garyson1311
Bikes: 1963 Pan FLH

Re: Piston question.

Post by Garyson1311 »

Thanks for the response.

The wiseco's did not come with any instructions at all.

I will remove the pin on that rear cylinder and see whats going on.

Thanks a ton,
Gary

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”