siezing 50 fl--cylinder upgrade

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

siezing 50 fl--cylinder upgrade

Post by tschukojr »

for thoose who rember, thanks,---well i took the motor apart---front cyl.& piston scuffed but not to bad-, rear was very bad, piston ruined and cracked, cylinder, scoured up good-i have two questions if i can -----first i have read and re- searched the knowledge base about drilling the cylinders- & case for piston skirt oiling-( 50 fl )-so what is the procedure---i saw and read in the manual also--but it was very brief---so after the case is drilled do i block the existing drain so all the oil will drain onto the piston skirt--( read once a long time ago about plugging with a locktited set screw somewhere)---- i saw a pic on here showing a drill in the process drilling the case in a 30 degree downward angle, i assumed the 30 degree position would be up toward the cylinder base, not down------( is the angle reguired )--i have brought the lower end to my motor guy he's been in bizz. for 30 yrs and he'a a friend, but when i dicuss this with him , i'd like to have my act together and since he'll be re-assembling , he'll be drilling the holes---so also question # 2 ---maybe i was dreaming, but when i emptyed the gear chest --i thought i took a philips screw out of the end of the pinnion shaft---and i don't see it in the manual, nor can i find it ( my 56 was different of course)---i had lots of trouble getting some of the cover screws out so maybe i dreamed it up-------so thats it, the fly wheels, were rotating --with a tite spot, so i knew when i bought it , i would do the motor this winter, so its apart , so i'am doing it now--prolly gonna retrurn to stock plumbers manifold , those inserts came out easy, way easy about 2-3-4 lbs break away , nothing really-threads are not perfect, but pretty good and the inserts screw in and out freely by hand--and what ever o-ring that once exsited was basically non-existant--i think there was remnants of something on one of the heads------funny the bike started easy and seemed to run ok.----still having fun-----thanks everyone ecspecially cotten & rubone------------tony s.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: siezing 50 fl--cylinder upgrade

Post by 1950Panhead »

I own a 1950 panhead and have ridden it thousands of miles without any engine problems.
There is no defect in the lubrication system.
In 1953 Harley decided to drain the top end oil through a hole in the lower part of the cylinder which splashes on one side of the piston.
You could drill a hole in a 48-52 cylinder and block off the original cylinder drain to achieve the same effect but it is not necessary.
If your pistons seized timing may have been retarded, carburetion was to lean, engine overheated, you ran low on oil or the pump is really worn.
Please explain your motivation for changing from the original design; maybe I can talk you out of it.
Jerry
tschukojr

Post by tschukojr »

jerry----- i just belive its a better way to return the oil to the sump , because it will hit the piston skirt, and splash on the flywheels, fling off and lubricate the cylinder walls---thats all, it had air leaks in the o- ring adapters--both, and i pressure tested it and lots and lots of bubbles--------thanks
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Tony,
Look at the photo, wood is 1.5" x 3.064 x 7.125, steel tube (brake line) od=.375 length = 6", guide hits cylinder 5.125" (center) (cylinder upside down) from bottom, drill bit = .250 x 12". Someone with cylinder please verify hole is 5.125" down.
Insert plug or allen screw in cylinder bottom.
It's still not neccesary but I hope this helps.
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tschukojr

Post by tschukojr »

jerry thanks, i have seen this pic before---i actually belive there are more than one procedure's for this-----but thats what scare's me ---i guess your right leave it alone--------------thanks again-----------tony---will let you know how everything works out
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

The phillips screw in the end of the pinion shaft is a left hand thread and was OEM 51-53 IIRC.It allows you to anchor the tool for pushing the pinion gear onto the shaft.The late style oiling change allowed the elimination of a machine process on the cases.Either method will work fine.HTH.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”