Rocker block & motor mount stud question

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Rocker block & motor mount stud question

Post by TimmyV »

Got my new STD panheads today & I have to say I'm stoked ! Been checking the fit of all the parts I'm swapping out from my old heads, running taps through all the holes in preparation for final assembly.

I noticed that even though I ran a 5/16-18 tap through the rocker block stud holes & have nice clean threads, that the studs only start a couple turns before being unable to turn by hand. The threads on the studs look good & I'm certain they are not cross threaded.

* Same thing with the motor mount stud holes. I ran a 7/16 - 14 tap in those holes & the studs for them do the same thing.

I wonder if the studs are an "interference fit" ?

I looked through my H-D service manual as well as my copy of Palmer's book & cannot find any reference to this, however it seems like I read somewhere that they were indeed an interference fit.

Is loctite recommended for these studs ? If so, would Red loctite be the way to go ?

Hopefully one of you guys that know could straighten me out if I'm thinking incorrectly.
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Re: Rocker block & motor mount stud question

Post by TimmyV »

I went back out to the garage & took another look at those studs. Chased the threads on 'em & now they thread in like they should. Still wonder if Red loctite is recommended ?
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

TimmyV,
I don't see how red loctite would help you out much in these places. Actually I've had to replace a couple of broken rocker studs and was glad they weren't glued in. Now cylinder studs in the case I'd think about. I hate those guys backing out when trying to remove the jugs...
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

I wonder if the studs are an "interference fit" ?
yes

if ya heat the head up they go in easier......
a stud installer helps
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

LockTite Green is used to secure studs and bearings. Heat breaks the bond of LocTite....bosheff
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. If all goes well I should have the rocker blocks installed today & the heads will almost be ready to install. All I'm waiting on now is a new set of d-rings as my old ones had been drilled out for a 1/4" bolt. New pan covers have already arrived.

BTW, the Red loctite I referred to is labeled Loctite "stud lock" # 07331. I realize that it takes heat to break a stud loose after using this product. We use it all the time at work when installing studs, etc. I'm a millwright by trade ( 31 + years), not a motorcycle mechanic so I thought I would ask.

I'll get some pics posted later this morning of the new heads. To me, the porting job looks like it will make these heads flow very well. Performance was not my goal when purchasing these, just wanted my old gal back in the wind. But if they make Norma Jean run better then I'm all for it.
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

Here's a few shots of the new heads. Never claimed to be a photographer either. lol.
d70387718e35f2aa758e3db38e8712a5.jpg
Not a very good pic, but you can see the porting that was done. Looks like the air should flow well around the valve stem / guide to me.
562f6620070d9b30f630c40ce07e588d.jpg
Same thing here
550b21db1169bd8a64331b577f1ef716.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

Tim your gonna love those heads .... installed some on my brothers 54 a few years back and man what a difference ! Flow on the big end is absolutely incredible , leaves my shovel in er wake.... and I aint kidding !!! oh yea he runs a S & S super E as well , we love that combination no problems starting hot or cold as many of this sites posters have complained about . KIK ASS ...... IF YOU FOR SOME REASON DONT LIKE EM LET ME KNOW Ill find em a good home, might even put em on the shovel............... Ed

oh yea, no need to glue those studs in , but if you must use the blue
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

TimmyV wrote: I wonder if the studs are an "interference fit" ?

I looked through my H-D service manual as well as my copy of Palmer's book & cannot find any reference to this, however it seems like I read somewhere that they were indeed an interference fit.
I knew I read that information somewhere... I just got finished installing the rocker arm studs, blocks, etc & looked over on the workbench & noticed the label on the package.
DOH !!

I know Mike already confirmed that the threads were an interference fit, but I had to laugh at myself.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”