Base gasket leak

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Larry49EL

Base gasket leak

Post by Larry49EL »

Had the motor apart to check out intake leak issue and then went the extra mile to replace the base gaskets. Used James metal gaskets (thiun with a coating) and now the thing leaks more than before from around the base to case joint. I have the jug bolts torqued correctly and I THINK everything is OK (sure runs good now!) How do I stop the leak and are these the proper typr base gaskets for a 49EL (now 74 ci)?

By the way, turns out the carb issue was carb was way lean.. got it to run with a S&S super B and was able to adjust to get it right.

Thanks for the help guys.

Larry
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

in a word, those gaskets SUCK..........

put them in mine and they leaked, the oil holes in the gasket do not line up with the oil feed holes in the case

put paper gaskets back in and that should take care of it......
I have pics but they are kinda large so I will have to resize them to post.....

mbskeam
Larry49EL

Post by Larry49EL »

Thanks...one of mine actually had no oil holes, so I stamped them out...glad I reralized they were supposed to be there! Thanks for the input, I'll change cak (oh what fun) and post a reply.

Larry
frankovy
Inactive member

help gasket leak between cylinder and case.

Post by frankovy »

is there a fix that can be done instead of changing those gaskets i have a small leak.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

frankovy
If they are torqued down properly and if the base nuts aren't loose( and tightening, might not help ), replacing the gasket will be the best cure.
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Probably a stupid question but if you wanted to replace your base nuts with a differnt style, could you replace them one at a time without causing a leak ?

Tracy
Old - Rust
Inactive member

Post by Old - Rust »

If you have stock bolts leave them on they work the best. the aftermarket Acorn don't tighten up
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Want to go back to original.

Question still stands.

Tracy
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Tracy
If you are talking about replacing the base nuts, yes you can do one at a time with out any problems , just make sure you re-torque them after warming her up.
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Good point about retorguing after warm up.
Thanks,

Tracy
frankovy
Inactive member

Post by frankovy »

GREAT IDEA IT WORKED.
oldschool

base gasket leaks

Post by oldschool »

I have been using "THE OIL FIX" from Tom Haden Enterprises they also make the crankcase vent which controls the air in and out of the engine while you ride....also the M-6 primary chain adjuster...this thing is on 2 of my older pans and works great

The Oil Fix comes with 2 new gaskets...but it also comes with 2 Brass Busings that are placed in the oil return passage hole IN THE CRANKCASE

sooooooooooo...the oil draning down through the barrels into the crankcase never touch the gaskets....so no more leaks...just follow the instructions...and dont drop the bushing into the crankcase :idea:

Hey this guy makes 3 great usable products I have been using on a lot of Bikes with out changing the integrity or LQQKS of an original Bike..They just work! :D

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”