Thinking about a top end rebuild 7.5 or 8.5 comp ratio?

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
xnoahx

Thinking about a top end rebuild 7.5 or 8.5 comp ratio?

Post by xnoahx »

First some info on the bike, stock 64 FL engine with Linkert carb
Its seems like every gasket from the base up on my pan leaks so I want to replace them. While I have it apart I was toying with the idea of taking my 7.5:1 FL and bumping it up to 8.5:1 compression using new pistons. If I did this I would also want to swap in an Andrews J grind cam. My question is, how is this going to effect kick starting on my bike and would this be worthwhile? My other thought is just replace the gaskets and maybe get some new piston rings and maybe regain some lost power since what is in there now is what HD put in there in 64. Im not looking for a hot rod, I just would like a little more juice out of the motor that isnt going to give me headaches down the road and I figure going to FLH compression and a mild cam would get me there. Your thoughts?
Also, would it be advised to replace the cylinder studs and head bolts when I do this or would I be fine reusing the originals?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Thinking about a top end rebuild 7.5 or 8.5 comp ratio?

Post by Bosheff »

I see no reason not to reuse the head bolts and studs if they not buggered up. Make sure the studs are tight in the case halves. Probably not a bad idea to replace the stud lockwashers. Stay with 7.5:1 compression. The extra compression is asking for spark knock on hot days with a load even when running premium fuel. As with any performance cam there are usually trade offs. Andrews has sold about a bazillion "A" grinds in the last 4 decades, but I see no reason to stray from the stock H-D "H" cam....bosheff
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I've put over 85k miles on wiseco 8.5:1 piston on my pan. It gets plenty hot on phoenix in the summer and I have no knock issues. But I am dual plugged so I run only 29 degrees of advance. Kicking is no issue at all so don't let that stop you.

-Craig
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

We I think for simplicity's sake I am going to stick with my stock pistons and cams. Would I see benefit to replacing my piston rings?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If ya haven't pulled it down yet run a compression check. I've seen pan motors with 75 lbs. in both cylinders run great, but I guess if ya got it apart you might well ring it for the small cost involved. If yer gonna rering make sure you refinish the cylinders. Of course before you do that have the cylinders checked for bore size and taper....bosheff

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”