Hydraulic Tappet Choice

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
myers1960

Hydraulic Tappet Choice

Post by myers1960 »

Gentlemen,
There has been much discussion on this forum about available replacement hydraulic tappet assemblies and their respective quality or the lack there of. I have a 1960 Panhead that is in need of tappet replacement. I want to maintain the stock external appearance and finishes.That being said, the OEM tappet blocks will need honing to the next available size since they will no longer accommodate standard tappets and maintain the specified clearance. For the internal components, though, I would like to use the highest quality, service tested components available that will work with OEM blocks.Oem Tappet assemblies would be my choice if oversized were available. Is this an option, and if so, where do I get them? Sifton units get poor reviews on this forum and are at the low end in cost. Does this review relate to the tappets and the hydraulic units individually or as an assembly? Eastern gets better reviews on the tappets (which are resonably priced) but I assume, if Sifton Units are inferior, must be used with Crane hydraulic units which are considerably more money. Are Crane units of considerably better quality as well? The fourth option is the Jim's Big Axle tappets and the Crane hydraulic units , which is the most expensive option. Does the cost equate to this option being the best conventional choice in terms of quality and performance or is one paying for the name? The fifth option is the Jim's Big Axle "Powerglide" hydraulic tappet assembly. I have heard that this option performs well in shovelheads when used in conjunction with the Jim's Powerglide tappet blocks. The Jim's website says that these units can be used in Panheads with OEM tappet blocks as long as the roller to tappet block clearance is checked and addressed (which would be done in any application). I do not know of anyone who has these units in service using an OEM Panhead oil pump for their lubrication system. Has anyone used this option, and if so, what has been your "in service" experience? Any help or information would be appreciated. Myers1960
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Hydraulic Tappet Choice

Post by Cotten »

myers1960!

Like you, my experience tells me to stay as close to OEM design as possible.

The "Sifton" name has been sullied by the fact that V-TWIN just uses the name for a label. You might order the same part a month later and get something entirely different, but in the same box. Sometimes its genuine guapo, sometimes its decent. It is always a gamble.

Eastern is a time-honored brand, but over the last few years it has become a gamble on some items as well.
Nonetheless, I would choose their over-sized tappets, as I have in the past, but be prepared to send anyone's product back if inspection finds fault.

So the individual enthusiast does well to seek out a local independent dealer to order through, so that returns and refunds can be taken care of with minimal grief.

In spite of the cost over cheaper productions, I have been installing Crane's hydraulic units (presumed by hearsay to have been manufactured by the OEM producer: EATON). Their availability may soon be limited, however.

...Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I have the Jims big axle hyd. set with some what stock type guides
(after market of some sort , brand ,but they look just like the OEM's but chromed, they were on the bike when I bought it )
They work fine in my 65 with stock cast iron oil pump .
I can look up the part number for ya if you need it .
myers1960

Post by myers1960 »

Cotten and Fourthgear,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your responses.

myers1960

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”