New Top End Question

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
jank1331
Bikes: 1958 FLH

New Top End Question

Post by jank1331 »

Lets try this in the Pan section

have a new top end on my 58 pan and have a few questions. When I got this bike, it ran rather well but had a tendency to backfire through the carb and exhaust. I was thinking timing, points, exhaust leak etc. Turns out I couldnt solve any of these problems, so I went to a mechanic to have him check it out. Long story short, low compression, cylinderand jug scoring, burnt valves---the whole 9 yards. SO, now a new top end. I am breaking her in know with about 20 miles on her....cool ambient temp when I ride, short distances, never over 40mph, fluctuating speed. As many of the posts on here have stated, low oil pressure is common on pans, so when I went on a recent ride and on my way home at a stop light, the 0 psi reading had me a bit concerned but I thought that it sounded and road fine so I went home and let her completey cool down. When I started her up 3 days later, the idle was at least 1500-1800 and sounded louder and more tinny. I made no adjustments to anything between rides. I have oil returning to the bag, and the high psi (30-40) on a cold start is there. I dont know if this is my mind playing tricks on me but it almost seemed as if the rear exhaust was starting to blue when I ran it ( after a minute or so). Will spilled oil on chrome do that? am I overheating a cylinder? The sound is definitely different. Any help would be great.
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Re: New Top End Question

Post by oldbob »

Sounds like you might have a vacuum leak. I would pressure test the intake system before starting again.

Bob

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”