New Top End Question

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
jank1331
Bikes: 1958 FLH

New Top End Question

Post by jank1331 »

I have a new top end on my 58 pan and have a few questions. When I got this bike, it ran rather well but had a tendency to backfire through the carb and exhaust. I was thinking timing, points, exhaust leak etc. Turns out I couldnt solve any of these problems, so I went to a mechanic to have him check it out. Long story short, low compression, cylinderand jug scoring, burnt valves---the whole 9 yards. SO, now a new top end. I am breaking her in know with about 20 miles on her....cool ambient temp when I ride, short distances, never over 40mph, fluctuating speed. As many of the posts on here have stated, low oil pressure is common on pans, so when I went on a recent ride and on my way home at a stop light, the 0 psi reading had me a bit concerned but I thought that it sounded and road fine so I went home and let her completey cool down. When I started her up 3 days later, the idle was at least 1500-1800 and sounded louder and more tinny. I made no adjustments to anything between rides. I have oil returning to the bag, and the high psi (30-40) on a cold start is there. I dont know if this is my mind playing tricks on me but it almost seemed as if the rear exhaust was starting to blue when I ran it ( after a minute or so). Will spilled oil on chrome do that? am I overheating a cylinder? The sound is definitely different. Any help would be great.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: New Top End Question

Post by PanPal »

I dont know if this is my mind playing tricks on me but it almost seemed as if the rear exhaust was starting to blue when I ran it ( after a minute or so). Will spilled oil on chrome do that? am I overheating a cylinder?
Not advancing the timing will overheat it and turn the pipes blue. You may want to check your timing again. Also make sure you fully advance the timing after it starts.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”