Bad News For Me please read

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
panhead1953ohv
Inactive member
Bikes: 1953 FL
1972 XLCH

Bad News For Me please read

Post by panhead1953ohv »

my bike was getting harder to start so i did a compression check to see whats going on.rear cyl not showing anything.so i checked the liftes all good there.so i did a leakage test and air comes out of the carb for a second or two then it stops and pressure goes up to a good range to where the bike should run.so at this point i am thinking intake valve sticking or my pushrod is hitting the cover and stoping the valve from closing.so i take the cover off all push rods and still air out the carb for one second or so and then pressure goes up. so now i am at the point of taking the top end.i take the rear head off,oil covering half of the head gasketno oil in the head.so now i take the cover off and no oil pools in the heads like there should.i rotate both rocker arms and exh is easy to move and int has some drag and rough spots/i take the caps off and exh rocker arm shaft is dark blue and wore out so that is a sign of heat and no oil .the intake is the same but not dark blue.so i take the valves out and the rear exh valve SEAT falls right out.its hard steeland was not put in right all.i will post a pic of that later.i am just venting because this bike was rebuilt 3000 Miles ago.little info on the motor as far as i know Broke,80in stroker Std size pistons high compression cam is from switzerland front head has a -50 part num and rear is -55 with o ring intakes.has OHO in between both sets of push rods where you would dual plug headsand a knuck gear cover with oil line off the cover and splits to both heads.now when i ran the bike after two years of storage o made sure the line was clear by blowing air.and when the bike was running i cracked the lines to check for oil and there was plenty.but now the rear line is blocked about 90%so now that this happened this year i will not ride the bike because i am switching to shovelheads because it will cost less and they flow much better when set right.if you have any questions feel free to ask but dont bash me please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by panhead1953ohv on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Bad News For Me please read

Post by steve_wood »

Sorry to hear the bad news, but don't dispair. Perhaps there is a way forward. Have you removed the cylinders? It would be interesting to get more info on the rest of the engine i.e. cylinders, pistons, crankcase, etc. It sounds like you'll need new heads, but that's not an impossible task. You just need to find a set that still have some of the original valve seats in place - those can be rebuilt by experts like HeadHog.

Keep us posted on your progress. And what the heck, solving problems like this is half the fun!

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”